16. First Choice

Juliette

The holiday break is in just a few days, and Slughorn's Christmas party is tonight. I still haven't found someone to come with me to the party, so it's beginning to make me panic. The majority people that I knew were bringing a date, and I didn't want to be the one person who came alone.

The question is, who am I going to ask? My selection of boys who are my friends and are in Slytherin, is quite small. None of them were my first choice either. My options are: Crabbe, Goyle, Theo, and Malfoy.

If I was not in the situation that I am, my selection would be much more broad. Of course, Dean, Neville, Ron, and even Seamus would have been pleasant options, but in the situation that I am in, they are off limits. I haven't been on good speaking terms with any of them.

I sunk down into this comfy chair near the fireplace inside of the common room. I stared at my parchment and fiddled with my quill, until I heard footsteps trotting down the staircase. I pretended to be jotting down some notes on the piece of parchment. The figure approached me and halted right in front of me.

Blaise had walked down the stairs from the boy's dormitory. "Trails, who are you taking to the Slug's Christmas party?"

When I turned to face him, I sunk lower into my chair, noticing Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Theo were behind him. "I don't know, I haven't really thought about it yet," I said casually, but really I was lying. I didn't know who to ask. "And you, Zabini? Have you asked Millicent or Pansy? Maybe it's some other Slytherin girl?"

Instead of Blaise replying, the four boys behind him were sniggering, Crabbe who said quite loudly, "We even offered ten galleons to ask Bulstrode! He chickened out! He couldn't even ask Bulstrode... talk about being wimpy!"

"Shut up Crabbe, would you be able to ask a girl yourself?" Malfoy defended Blaise.

Theodore Knott tuned into the conversation, "Zabini if you ask Bulstrode, I'll pay Trails to go with Malfoy."

I nearly gagged at his comment.

Crabbe smirked, "C'mon Zabini, do it for Trails!"

Malfoy looked at me, then back to his friends, "That is abominable! I would never do that! Why don't you, yourself Knott?"

Theo merely protruded, "She's your girlfriend Malfoy! We've all seen you both walk into the common room together late at night before! I've seen you sneak into our dorm at like two in the morning! I can't imagine what else you two could be doing so late at night."

I put my hands up in innocence, "Woah, woah, woah! You've definitely got it wrong, Knott! All of you do! You must all be insane to believe that!"

I looked at Malfoy to back me up, he retorted back at them, "That means nothing you lot! Zabini, stop chortling over there before I go off and tell Bulstrode that you were planning to sneak a love potion in her pumpkin juice."

"You know what? Trails, do you want to go together? I don't plan on smuggling Bulstrode a love potion, for the record. Anyway, both of us don't have anyone to go with, and the party is in a few hours," Blaise insisted.

Honestly, it wasn't a bad idea, he was better to go with, rather than one of the other four jerks.

"Fine, meet me here by seven," I said with attitude, closing my books. I pushed past the boys and head straight towards the girl's dormitory.

Boys, honestly...

If it didn't say on the invitation to show up formally, I would have shown up in my casual attire. I got into the shower, thinking about the mess I got into.