13. Petrificus Totalus

Juliette

Draco didn't show up at dinner so I figured I'd head to the Room of Requirement early. I was on my way when I turned a corridor, and a familiar voice whispered, "Petrificus Totalus," and I became petrified. However, I could hear and see everything that was happening around me.

Whoever it was, stepped forward to face me, it was Hermione who cast the spell, followed by Ron and Harry.

Hermione had her wand pointed at me and said, "I'm so sorry Juliette, but it was our only way to stop you from avoiding us!" No one was around as we were in an empty corridor.

"Why do you keep avoiding us! You had us worried to death that something terrible happened to you after we went to the Ministry! It was bloody great when we saw you alive on the train! All the sudden you're avoiding us, and hanging out with, bloody Malfoy!" Ron said furiously.

Ron watched me in shock as it was almost winter break, and this was one of the few things he said to me. The thing was, something terrible did happen to me over the summer.

"Just tell us what we did," she unbinded me so I could finally move again.

"L-look, I need to go now-," but before I could finish my sentence the three of them had their wands pointed at me. I came to the conclusion, that they weren't going to let me go, so I began, "Before I tell you the whole story, just please don't leave or use a spell on me."

I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to lie or tell the truth.

They nodded their heads and began to listen, "J-just Harry please don't hate me for this part." He definitely was going to ignore me after I told them most of what happened.

"My parents were Death Eaters. On the night You-Know-Who came to your house, my parents lifted the enchantments on your house. Both of my parents are gifted in charms; which is why I'm pretty good at them too. Aside from your family having a Secret Keeper, they removed other charms so You-Know-Who could get in. I'm really, really, sorry, Harry. I only found out near the end of last year. I couldn't face you to tell you the truth earlier." I was telling the truth. I just wasn't giving them the entire reason as to why I was avoiding them. They would never forgive me for getting the Dark Mark, and I couldn't bring myself to continue, so I left it at that.

I carefully watched their reaction. Harry stared at me blankly, unsure of what to say. Hermione and Ron seemed shocked.

After a few moments of silence, Hermione was the first one to speak. "So what happened at the Ministry, then?"

"While we were running, on our way out of the Department of Mysteries, my parents cornered me. It was when we all split up. They Apparated me to Malfoy Manor and that's where I have been all summer. My owl was taken away. And I wasn't allowed to write back to any of you. Something happened. Something very big happened. I don't want to-I can't bring myself to talk about it."

The three of them exchanged looks.

"Bloody hell..." Ron whispered in a low voice.

"Malfoy has it too, doesn't he?" Harry blurted out with anger.

Of course they knew. I knew Harry would make an assumption about Malfoy having the mark. He always thought Malfoy would become just like his father. In a way, he was right.

"I knew it. You have it too, don't you?"

I sighed and looked at him sadly. "I never wanted it. I had no power in the decision, okay? If I declined or ran away, he would have killed me."

"So you'd rather get the mark and serve him rather than resist and fight back?" Harry asked. He sounded hurt in his voice. When I didn't reply, he added, "You really are a Slytherin."