43. Reunited Once More

Juliette

Walking among other students in such a strict formation, was odd and uncomfortable. Beside me stood Harry, and a Ravenclaw who's name I forgot. As we walked through the corridors, everything that Draco had described to me about Hogwarts had come to life. It was dark and cold as if Dementors had roamed the halls and had taken away all life and happiness.

I wondered where Draco was. Maybe he was here too, in the castle. Perhaps he was doing the same thing as I, but with other Slytherins like Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode, Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise, and Theo.

In the corner of my eye, I could see a figure of a professor by a door. I kept my profile low and kept my eyes on the ground.

We entered the Great Hall, where many professors who taught me years ago stood; Professor McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout, Binns, and Slughorn were only a handful that I could see. And of course, the man who stood at the front, Severus Snape. The new Headmaster of Hogwarts stood at the front meanwhile students piled inside the grand room.

It was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

Snape spoke loud and clear as if it were being in another potions class with him, but much more intense. "Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you here at this hour. It has come to my attention that earlier this evening... Harry Potter was spotted in Hogsmeade."

Murmurs broke through the room, many students taking it as a surprise.

"I mention this in hopes that the truth will not be covered by rumors. For myself and a few select members of the staff, this is protruding as little surprise. For some time, we have considered Mr. Potter's return to be not only possible, but inevitable. Under my instructions and orders, extensive defensive strategies have been employed to defeat any attempt Mr. Potter might take to breach these walls. But listen... should anyone, staff or student, attempt to aid Mr. Potter, that person will be punished. Rest assure: So as long as I am Headmaster at Hogwarts, Harry Potter will never again step foot in this castle."

Several Slytherins, even ones that I knew, began to applaud Snape's speech.

I just didn't get it, Snape taught Harry. He was the one who stopped Quirrell from jinxing Harry's broom in our first year. The one who helped him develop his occlumency skills. How could someone betray him so easily?

I thought about how ironic it is. Me of all people wondering how someone could betray Harry so easily when I had done so at the beginning of our sixth year. A pit in my stomach formed thinking about it. 

"Now then. If anyone here has knowledge of Mr. Potter's movements this evening... I invite them to step forward now," Snape said with a snarl. He searched the crowd for some type of movement, but there was nothing.

I felt Harry leave my side and move, "It would seem that, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster."

I followed Harry from behind. Simultaneously, the rest of the Order made an entrance through the Great Hall just after us. I even spotted my aunt, which only made me feel more confident.

"And I'm afraid it's rather extensive," Harry added.

I could see the Carrows beginning to near. I tugged my wand out of my robe, ready to shoot a spell at either of them at any second.

"How dare you stand where he stood."

Snape had his wand pointed at Harry, but I mimicked his actions, pointing my wand at him instead.

"Tell them how it was that night. Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you...and killed him. Tell them!"

Snape's face remained still, not reacting or shooting spells at Harry. The Great Hall was dead silent.