19. A Strange Gift

Juliette

The train ride to Platform 9 3/4 felt like forever. The conversations were mainly led by Pansy, which meant that there were dozens of conversation starters about the latest fashion trends and styles.

When we finally arrived at the platform, Draco and I easily spotted my mother and Narcissa, who were waiting for us to Apparate back to the Manor.

Stubbornly, I grabbed my trunk and walked over to where they were standing. My mother pulled me into a tight hug. I let go of my things and hugged her back.

Narcissa hugged Draco as well and he returned the gesture.

When I left for Hogwarts, things were tense between myself and my parents. I hated that they dragged me into this whole mess. Just seeing my mother reminded me all of the feelings that I felt over the summer and immediately put me into a bad mood. The worst part was, that they were proud that I had become them.

After a quick conversation, asking how our term went, we Apparated to the Malfoy Manor.

I felt the usual rush through my body during Apparition which only lasted a few seconds.

And suddenly, we were inside of the Manor. Everything looked the exact same like we never left. In two days, there would be another meeting. Would I have to do the Cruciatus Curse again? Would I be the one being tortured?

Multiple questions went through my head. The pit in my stomach grew larger and larger. I just wanted to Apparate back to King's Cross and stay at Hogwarts, where it was safe. I went off to the room which I stayed in for the entire summer. It was now claimed as "my room."

I plumped myself onto my bed and waved my wand, "Expecto Patronum," I watched as the small dog ran around the room. Often times, I would just produce my Patronus and let it roam around. Expecto Patronum was one of my favourite spells. I found Patronus' quite fascinating, as most people's were different.

"Your Patronus is a dog?" said a boy with blonde hair, leaning against the door with his arms crossed.

I felt a little nervous hearing his voice. I hoped that he wouldn't mention what had happened last night. I didn't want to say anything about it, nor did I want to talk about it.

I looked to my left, "Couldn't bother knocking, could you?" I was quite glad that there wasn't some awkward tension between the two of us.

He smiled, it was a genuine smile, not a smirk, "But knocking is polite, isn't it?"

I scoffed, "Right, and your goal is to always be rude, isn't it?"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. You up for a duel? But I mean, if you don't want to because you're afraid to lose, I can go easy."

"Don't get too cocky Malfoy, because once you lose, I don't want you to end up crying to your father."

He rolled his eyes, and I kept a tight grasp on my wand, following him out the door to an empty room, which we always duelled in.

There were a few chairs and old antiques lying around. I walked to one side of the room, and Draco stayed at the other.

"May the best dueller win," he smirked and we pulled our wands back, pointing them at each other.

I thought of the first spell that came to mind, "Stupefy!"

"Ennervate," the spell was easily countered off of him.

He waved his wand, by the motion, I could tell it was going to be Reducto. Crap. With my free hand I protected my head, and with the swish of my wand, I used Protego. The blast headed back in the direction it came from.