34. The Trial

Juliette

It's midway through August already. I can't believe how fast these past couple months have been. The plan this time is for me to enter the Ministry again, but this time, I have to find Umbrige and the Horcrux.

Ever since I met Dolores Umbridge, I always dreaded seeing her, and this was the first time where I didn't. During our fifth year, she was a nightmare. She changed everything at Hogwarts, trying to transform all of her students into robots, who followed the Ministry. She tried to change Hogwarts for the worst, and clearly, it didn't work as a rebellion was formed.

Now, I need to find her. She is my only hope to bring us one step closer to destroying Voldemort.

The plan is in action now. My aunt had set out for the Ministry in the Muggle-Born Registration Commission Department to find a witch or wizard for me to transform into.

This time, I felt more ready and knew where to go. I wasn't going to wander around in a loop, wasting time like last time. The plan is to go to the Muggle-Born Registration Commission Department. Plus, Krogee already found out which courtroom I would attend to witness Umbridge's trial, so that saves me quite a bit of time. 

Also, Krogee and I watched and planned carefully to chose which wizard I would transform into. Aunt Myra gave me details to what jobs there were and types of situations that I might be put in while being in the Ministry.

My aunt returned from the Ministry passage with two strands of hair in a vial. I carefully placed one strand in the goblet filled with the potion.

"Bottoms up then," I said to myself, raising the glass. I gulped it down quicker this time, trying to ignore the nasty bitter taste.

I could feel myself growing taller and plump. I quickly changed into the clothing my aunt prepared. I noticed that my hair changed into this bright orange colour.

"Miss Amalia Wetherson, age thirty-four. Works in the Muggle-Born Registration Commission Department," my aunt stated, placing a badge on my clothing. "Best of luck, Miss Wetherson."

I thanked my aunt and took a handful of Floo powder. The green flames burst in front of me, taking me to the Ministry of Magic.

I checked my surroundings and I was in the Ministry of Magic for the second time. It hadn't looked the least bit different since I came last week. I followed the same route I took last time, searching for signs to guide me.

I searched for room 213 in the Muggle-Born Registration Commission. Workers often gave me a curt nod or said hello.

Room 213 had the same identical door as the other doors on the floor. It was the last door in the west corridor of the department.

I walked in, and it seemed like the hallway went on forever. I opened another door, revealing what I imagined a courthouse to look like, but much smaller. Dolores Umbridge sat in the head chair with the jury on one side and others on the opposing side. Behind her, other wizards sat mumbling things to one another. I stared at the ceiling which held hundreds of Dementors, whom were trying to break the Patronus charm that refrained them from attacking.

A tall wizard sat in the centre chair as Dolores Umbridge inspected him. He had dark brown hair, he seemed middle-aged and tired.

Umbridge noticed me as I sat down on the side with several workers. "Miss Wetherson, what brings you here today? Shouldn't you be handling Mr. Delton?"

I cleared my throat and changed the pitch of my voice, "I was able to trace his family bloodline, he's a pureblood. There's nothing else to handle, Dolores," I said solemnly lied, hoping that no one would deny me.

"Interesting, I thought he was muggle-born... time?" She inquired at one of her co-workers who checked their watch. The case began. Umbridge began to ask a series of questions to the man in the centre of the room. Each question she asked, he'd answer, but she'd accuse him or defy him. The poor man didn't even get a chance to explain himself thoroughly. This was Umbridge's job. She was vile and cruel to all wizards and witches no matter what their case was.

I snapped back to focus why I was here. I squinted my eyes in her direction. Around her neck, there was a locket. It looked exactly like the one I was searching for. The only question was how I was going to get it. To be honest, I didn't think I'd make it this far. I began to panic. There were loads of Ministry wizards in the room and Dementors floating above. It seemed like an impossible battle to win.

The trial was almost over and the wizard seemed to have no chance against Umbridge. So this was her job. Eliminating any Muggle-born witches and wizards. It was horrifying to watch. Why wasn't I doing anything?

I checked my watch and I stared at it with fear. I had minutes until I was going to transform into myself. I excused myself and headed for the door. I didn't care if wizards thought less of me or were puzzled of why I left. I quickly got into the elevator and scrambled to the fireplaces. By the time I was there, my hair began to change colour and my figure began to show. I jumped into one of the fireplaces, taking me back to my aunt's flat.

Aunt Myra and Draco sat near the fireplace waiting for me.

"Are you alright?" Draco asked while staring at me to see if he spotted any cuts or bruises.

"I'm fine," I said flatly and angrily.

"It was terrible. I didn't do anything. I went to the room you told me where I'd find her, and I did. It was smooth, no one made any big conversations. I walked in and there she was. She wore the locket. Thing is, there were hundreds of dementors floating above me and a dozen other wizards surrounding the wizard in the main chair. I couldn't have snatched it from her otherwise, I'd be dead."

I stormed into my room angry about how I didn't accomplish anything. Was this all any use? I began to question what I was doing. Maybe Draco was right, and it wasn't worth it to go to the Ministry. I was already almost caught once and it was a miracle that I wasn't caught again.

What if I was going through all of it for nothing?

What if the locket wasn't even a Horcrux? For all I know, Voldemort could have never created any.