Chapter V

Lana's POV

The ring after the ring though the phone was buzzing in my head, echoing, and the little patience I had left was slowly banishing. I ran my hand through my hair, puffing out nearly all the air from my lungs.

And then he picked up, and my heart jump-started immediately. My body instantly straightening up and my voice coming out on it's own before I even heard his voice.

  "Jack?"

"Lana?" I released my breath once again sharply when I heard a voice from the other line. Thank God. "Lana, it's Marco,"

"Oh, God," I said in relief. For some reason, ever since the vampire broke in, then the weird scene in front of the old house, and then the road-block.. It made me worried sick. Literal nauseousness in my stomach.. And things like that happened for a reason. Bad butterflies were caused every time something didn't feel right. Like a weird sense.. "Are you guys okay?"

I heard silence on the other line for a few seconds, before a little click was heard.

  "Yea, Lana, it's you that's not okay. Are you crazy?" His voice rose, and I just hopped he wasn't stupid enough for dad to hear him. "Where the hell are you?"

I closed my eyes for a few seconds, catching my lip between my teeth. I could hear it in his voice. Marco was always the careless one, and now even he sounded worried.

"I can't tell you, Marco.." I stopped for a second, looking on the side. The old cement stairs were causing that unpleasant feeling to crawl up my stomach, and the whole place just felt strange. It was a motel, in the middle of nowhere, and I got there with a vampire. Things couldn't get worse than that. "Look, everything will be fine soon, I promise. I just need to take dad's attention off that marriage."

"It's still four in the morning, but do you know how angry he will when he finds out in the morning? You know he'll notice one way or another.." He wasted no time in telling me that, and his voice sounded pretty angry too. "Where are you even staying?"

"It doesn't matter. I told Jack everything you guys need to know." I frowned slightly. I called for Jack's phone, and Marco answered. "Where is he anyways?"

"He's upstairs. He forgot his phone here." I heard him exhale, and I could picture that worry on his face, I could see the panic that was waiting for everyone in the morning. Of course, I didn't want that. But, I couldn't let my parents ruin everything with that marriage. It just wasn't right.

"Just try to keep mom calmed. And dad." I leaned on the metal handrail, shifting slightly. It didn't matter. I was uncomfortable everywhere, and the room creeped me out. The woods would've been a better choice. "And don't tell anyone I called.. Except Jack. He's probably worried."

"He is." He said loudly from the other line, and I knew the situation frustrated them, but there was no other quicker choice than to get away for a while. "Look, Lana," I could hear his breath from the phone, like he was walking somewhere. I didn't have the right to ask where. "You know that dad will catch your scent. Or Julian.." The name of our uncle kind made my stomach jump. He was good with his instincts, and Marco was right.. They could find me. But I had time till morning. It was around 4 am.. I was exhausted. I needed some sleep, for at least an hour.

"I know-.. God, I know, Marco." I stopped for a second, looking around. The stairs in front of my room were only illuminated by the dimmed light.. And the fact that I couldn't see much around me made me jumpy. "I just.. I need to get as far as possible for a while. It'll be over soon, I just need things to dial down a little bit."

"For how long?" His voice came out quieter, and I hated that I was putting my brothers in a situation where they had to cover up for me, but I was doing this for the sake of not just me, but the whole pack. Xander could not be trusted. Not yet.