Chapter XLVI

Not edited.

Lana's POV

It was rather darkness that struggled to take over my vision and loud buzzing that echoed in my hears.. It was panic that climbed up my throat yet silence that held me choked. I.. I could feel pressure, I could feel this rough throbbing in my head.. And it blurred my mind in ways that made me doubt I was even left sane still..

I could see flames, and I knew what they meant. I could see them rising up in the sky, and I knew.. I knew what happened. But it seemed like a part of me refused to believe it even though my body was numb as I stood frozen on my spot.

My throat was as dry as to make me feel like I was choking.. My eyes burned from the cold air and the sudden smoke spreading through it.. I heard faded screams, pleads, and words.. Words near me.

I felt hands on my face, on my shoulders, while I stared at someone's broad shoulders, someone's chest that blocked my view.. Only the tips of the high fire behind the gates caught my attention and I.. I was left speechless with the realization. Breathless with the thought.

And when I was directed to look up, at the man standing in front of me, so close trapping me against the wall that I could barely move an inch.. I saw a pair of familiar dark eyes.. Eyes that were filled with panic almost as high as mine.. With concern and fear that was unusual for that inky dangerous color. My Christian.

And oh it was that moment when I knew.. I knew that what was happening was real. It was not a damn nightmare, but it was all there in front of me.. As real as his touch on my face was..

He said something to me.. I could not hear him but the deep tone in his voice caught my attention.. My eyes burned, my face did as well.. Like it was me that felt those flames.. But I could no longer breathe.. I could no longer breathe to tell whether or not it was all happening, if it was real or if it was all an illusion..

Those damned witches were.. They were an illusion I was sure in it.. And they killed- A sharp breath escaped my throat like there was no longer space in my lungs for me to hold it. My head span and all I could hear was how that loud buzzing in my ears turned into a screech, louder and louder..

I didn't realize I had closed my eyes until I felt something warm down my cheeks.. Until I felt a strong embrace around my waist, underneath my legs as I was lifted from the ground.. Against all that smoke, all that lack of air from how hard that pressure had climbed from the ache of my heart up my throat, I could still recognize that familiar scent, the familiar warmness.. The familiar arms that held me tightly and safely..

I was holding on with my arm around his neck, but I barely had the straight to straighten up even a bit.. My eyes closed on their own.. I could not,- no, I refused to accept those thoughts.. I just pressed my head against his shoulder and thanked every god that he was alive. And once again, refused to accept that the others weren't.

We were inside before I could even register it.. I heard his voice, he said something to me.. Then he yelled something to someone else.. I heard other voices as well.. There were people inside.. Women mostly.. Some men that weren't in the group with those that left the gates.. My father.. My father lead that group.. Only minutes ago, I had heard his voice. I heard his commands. And he didn't listen to me when I told them to stop.. Goodness, my brothers.. My uncle..

I could not breathe.. I felt myself being put on something soft.. My eyes were opened and my vision was blurry, but as if there was something in my throat, I couldn't breathe. I felt a sob escape me.. But no tears left me.

"Lana," I heard his voice.. Christian.. I looked into his eyes.. I saw worry. I saw fear. I saw despair. And I looked away. "Lana, look at me," My head was turned.. His hand around my jaw held me still and directed me to meet his gaze once again. "Listen to me, I need you to stay with me,"