Chapter. XXXIX

Lana's POV

  The sound seemed to be pulsing in my head. A loud heartbeat matching my own.. A rhythm steady and harsh, thumbing in my head.. Beating quicker and quicker, louder and louder. Yet, it wasn't mine.

  The sudden gush of cold air over my body seemed to instantly bring me back to my consciousness. My mind seemed to had awakened, but it took me a few seconds to get aware of my surroundings.

  Goosebumps formed all over my skin as the freezing wind blew towards me. I felt my body shivering as I somewhat looked around, like it was the first time I was opening my eyes, when they were open the whole time..

  I was standing on the back wooden porch, only a simple step away from the door, staring at the endless darkness before me. I looked down and realized I was standing barefoot on the wooden porch, wrapped in a simple sheet.

  Panic hit quicker than my consciousness did. The sounds disappeared the very second I became aware of my surroundings, only proving that it was all in my head. I felt a harsh pressure in my chest and realized that my breathing became so hard to the point of exhaling as deep as to feel pain in my lungs..

  My mind seemed to struggle getting used to the sight before me. I found myself frowning and taking a step back. How the hell did I get here, was the question I refused to ask myself because it wouldn't be the first time trying to find an answer to that dilemma, and the scariest part was, this time I had an idea or two on who was responsible for that.

  The first thing that hit me was the plain picture of the three witches, appearing in my head like a sudden hit of terror, a nightmare that that night was, followed by finding Christian unconscious on the floor and losing my mind whether he was alive or not. That was the summary of that night of the ball that was hunting me ever since.

  Yes, I had nightmares after that, after seeing that picture of Christian seemingly dead.. But I hadn't heard the sound of that heartbeat ever since a few days before the ball when I was in the woods with Christian. And just when I thought I was done with being played like a rag doll by those witches, I was proved wrong.

  Anger hit me quicker than fear did, because no, I was not scared of those freaks, but was furious with the realization that they kept trying to control me. I could take them down, I still believed in that, but what caused panic inside me was being the one to possibly hurt someone else while being under their stupid compulsion, and that someone else could had easily been Christian.

  I tightened the sheets around me. How did I even wrap the sheets around myself? I- Christ, I wasn't aware what I was doing. I was practically sleepwalking. And it wasn't the first damn time, so something kept telling me it was Adam who was behind it, and maybe not the witches.

  I found myself cussing underneath my breath when the cold air hit me again, taking a step back and walking back in the house. I closed the door quicker than I intended, and even though I refused to allow myself get scared, I was already acting like I was controlled by my panic and fear.

  But my cheeks heated with nothing but anger. Nothing but fury. I was clenching my teeth in order not to yell because firstly it was the middle of the night, and second it wouldn't matter because Adam couldn't hear my threats or swears no matter how loud I said them. Apparently, only I could hear him.. His disgusting dead heartbeat.

  I stood in the dark room, leaning on the door while holding the sheet tightly wrapped around myself.. I stood in silence for a few seconds and tried concentrating on my hearing, just to check if there was something unusual that I could hear.. But there wasn't. The silence was so thick, it was almost buzzing in my ears.