Chapter XIV

Not edited.

***

Lana's POV

  "Nas Ex Veras, Nas Ex Veras, Nas Ex Veras e ementas asten," The girl kept repeating the words as I watched with full attention how the candles enflamed, then faded out, and all over again. I didn't understand a thing. The language was either Latin, or something similar. Either way, I didn't get it. Her eyes were closed and her voice got more intense and loud with every second that passed, but being the first time I saw a witch perform a spell, I concentrated on how she frowned, and how whatever force or energy she was using effected her.

  She knelt in front of the small table, and seemed so focused.. At some point I swear it felt as if the air got ticker.. I on the other hand just sat on the couch leaning my elbows on my knees and just observed. Glancing at Christian from time to time, he seemed to be just standing there with crossed arms and making sure everything was going alright.. However, I didn't find any of this normal. Things like this had been kept out of my reach for my whole life. My father made sure of that.. Or I just never came across a witch before..

  Nothing seemed to happen on the map before her though. The small amount of 'magic' ash or whatever she put on the map didn't move like she explained it should. A slight wind blew her hair, and she went silent. Opening her eyes, she looked at Christian as she put her hands down. "It's not working." I heard myself exhale a slight breath. Of course it wasn't going to work. I already told them. If my father really had that necklace like they claimed he did, he would make sure for nobody else to get a reach of as long as he was alive..

  Standing up, I leaned over the little table and blew the candles. "Told you." I watched her stand up and round the table.

  "What if we get something that belongs to him? Or if we get to the house, and you do the spell directly?" Christian seemed desperate for a solution. He kept trying to come up with things that may or may not be useful, and Calliope was opened for suggestions.. However, I doubted that anything could work.

"No, look," I started off, trying to be as clear as possible. "I know my father. If your friend really gave him this necklace and if it has any kind of meaning to you, he already made sure that you will not find it." I hated to admit it, but my was capable of doing anything to protect our family.. Even if it meant such dark secrets like this. "He does have business with some powerful witches. If this didn't work, then it will be easier to just ask him. Or I don't know.. My brothers?"

  Christian seemed frustrated after the whole thing. he couldn't stand in place for a few seconds straight. Shifting his weight from one leg to another, crossing and uncrossing his arms, running his hand through his hair multiple times.. What did that guy do that had them so eager to destroy him? "You actually suggest asking, Lana? For something that he obviously doesn't want to be found?"

I really didn't know what to say. He was kind of right, but then again, it could be my brothers that ask. "Lana has a point. They have a witch on their side, and the locator spell is cloaked*. I don't have enough power to break it."

  I glanced at Christian and I could see that frustration on his face. It really has been a while since he tried finding the necklace, and there was no luck. "Why did your friend give the necklace to my dad?"

  He sat down, getting a hold of his head for a second before he looked up. "Long story." His voice was slightly raspy, his hair messy, and after Calliope trying multiple spells since this morning, we could all agree that it seemed like way too much for one day.

  "We have time." I kept insisting. I really didn't know the story how exactly that necklace that seemed so important to him ended up in my father's hands.. Basically making me a part of it in some way. Now, I wanted to know.