Chapter XXVIII

Lana's POV

...

I stood still having no clue where all of it came from.. Where all of them came from.. All the things that these three witches said.. I couldn't process it all so quickly.

It was that sickening feeling of my brain stopping in its tracks when I heard Amelia's yelp. I turned around so quickly, I felt even more dizzy after the words I heard that night.. On the floor, in front of me, I saw Christian unconscious.. It was all happening so fast, I couldn't even register it myself.

  The very second my eyes landed on him, the memory of both of us falling unconscious earlier that night because of those witches' spell flashed in my head so quickly, instantly making me listen for his heartbeat.. Nothing.. I heard nothing..

  In that moment, other than the gasp that escaped me, the air seemed to refuse to enter my lungs. It was like I saw my whole life flash in front of my eyes in that moment, with the damned picture of him falling to the ground with his eyes closed, the sound of his heartbeat simply disappearing the moment it happened..

I couldn't.. I just simply couldn't accept that picture.. That moment when this sudden fear gripped me whole, suddenly pumping a doze of adrenaline through my blood that rushed underneath my veins in that heat and boiling from the dread I felt.. Dread for him.

No thoughts crossed my mind, no time lost as I rushed towards him with a loud 'No!', falling on my knees to the floor beside him.. I could not focus on anything else in that moment.. Nothing else other than the very image of Christian laying unconscious on the ground.

  The things that those witches said seemed to disappear from my head immediately.. I couldn't get myself to think about anything else than what just happened before my eyes.. I was never familiar with witch craft and spells, but the fact that I didn't hear even a single beat of his heart after they preformed whatever wicked magic, it told me it was not a good sign..

I was frightened beyond belief.. Frightened for him. He was laying unconscious on the ground.. I couldn't- I couldn't get myself together. My hands shook as I pressed them against his chest, trying to see if I could feel any beats, roaming back towards his wrist to check again, as for in that moment, I didn't trust my own senses and I prayed that it was just me that wasn't hearing the sound of his heartbeat..

My mind was blank, blocked with fear for this guy that I cared for so deeply no matter the fact that I knew him for such a small amount of time.. I couldn't bare with the thought that he was hurt.. No, just not that..

I remember that I somewhat noticed that the three witches that did this mess were gone once Dimitri rushed towards them, but how could I focus in that when I had Christian hurt and lying on the floor?

  There was no possible way to explain or show the worry and fear that went through me in that moment, and I couldn't even hide it anymore.. My hands shook, my mind rushing with speed I could not follow, going through thoughts that I refused to let sink in..

  No, no, he couldn't be dead. It wasn't an option. He couldn't- He couldn't leave like that.. No. I was not accepting it.. Not now..

  His name kept escaping me as I tried shaking him slightly to wake up, to at least move a muscle, but there was no use. His eyes were peacefully closed, his face pale, and there wasn't even a single trace of heartbeat coning from his chest..

  Amelia was kneeling on the other side of him, Calliope standing in shock on the side near Dimitri and Luke.. The fear and denial that actually went through me while he was laying on the floor unconscious.. It was turning into anger with each second that passed.