Chapter 3 - State Alchemist Qualification Exam

Misaki pov:

Its been a week since I came to this world. The colonel has been exceptionally kind and provided me with an apartment to stay in and access to the library just as he promised. And thanks to that, I have been able to learn a lot about alchemy and this world. I had to study about alchemy from the basics but thankfully I was able to get a good understanding on the subject.

I learnt about many things, some out of which were very shocking. Alchemy, the transmutation circle that was required for people to be able to use alchemy, artificial humans called homunculi, and lastly the philosopher stone. Although, there wasn’t much information on the stone as I had hoped. The books I read only spoke about a person called Dr. Marco who had managed to create an artificial stone. If only I could find him….

I had also learnt about the exam. They had a physical exam to make sure I was fit to be in the military which I had passed with 100%. Then they would have an interview and finally a practical exam. And today was the day I would take up the interview and practical exam with a bunch of other people.

I was not nervous at all. I had been through hell and back with the kind of memories and mission I had gone through. This wouldn’t even need me to concentrate, unless the fact that I have to look like an alchemist.

I walked out of my apartment and headed to the place where the exam was going to be held. The colonel and his subordinates were going to be there, and so would the fuehrer. The fuehrer was the head of the whole military, something I had learnt when I studied the hierarchy of the military in one of the library books.

I reached the huge walls of the courtyard where the exam would be held. There were quite a few people waiting there and they whispered while watching me. “So who have you come to cheer, sweet cheeks?” One of the guys came to me with a cheesy grin. I chuckled. “I’m here to take the exam, honey.” I said sweetly and he blanched. “A girl? Taking the state qualification exam? That’s a first….”

He walked away mumbling to himself and he probably told the bunch he was standing with and they sent me weird looks. “Ah Mia chan!” I turned and smiled to the colonel who walked up to me. He patted my shoulder and wished me good luck. He was also one of the people who would be my judge today for the exam and he took my papers and walked into the interview room.

“Yo!” I turned and saw lt. Havoc. As usual, he had a cigarette in his mouth and a bored look on his face. “Hello, lt. Havoc. How come you’re here too?” He smiled and I smiled back, thinking that he looked quite up beat today. “Just thought I’ll drop in and see how the newbie was doing.” His grin widened and I chuckled.

“I’m ok. I’m ready for the exam.” I said and he nodded. “Good. Don’t worry. The colonel and all of us have a soft spot for you, so the colonel will probably influence the fuehrer to take you in.” I shook my head.”I don’t want that. I want to get in with my own effort.”

He stared for a minute blankly and then chuckled. “You’re ok. I like people with a positive and confident attitude like yours. Well anyway, I gotta go for my date now. I’ll see you later.” He waved and I laughed and waved back. Date huh? Sounded like fun…..I wonder if I would ever get that chance….I did sorta like Iruka. Oh well, that’s not important now. I had a mission to take care of. I could probably talk to Iruka once I got back.

The interview began and people seemed nervous. Some of the people who went in came out with a dejected look on their faces and left the exam grounds. I frowned. Was the interview difficult? What if they asked something about alchemy that I didn’t know? I shook my head. I gotta be confident! I had come this far, gained the trust of these people! I would be ashamed if the plan backfired now.