Chapter 20 - Let me stay with you

Mia pov:

I shrunk forward and my eyes went wide as the wind was completely knocked out of my lungs. Tsunade sama punched me with her full strength in my stomach and people around us gasped. I fell to the ground on my knees clutching my stomach and I kept my mouth open as I felt like puking.

I coughed and threw up blood and my throat burned. “Tsu….na..de…..sama…..” I croaked out and couched out blood some more. Damn! She had an iron fist! She is a legendary sannin! What was she doing using her full strength on me?! Was she trying to kill me?!

“Stand up.” She ordered and I breathed heavily and staggered up clutching my aching stomach. I clenched my jaw and closed my eyes. I was a ninja. I had to stick up to pain. I couldn’t let a punch pull me down. I took a few slow breaths and stood up straight and looked at Tsunade sama passively. She had a hard look and I have to admit I felt a little scared at the way she was watching me.

But after a few seconds, she gave a sad smile. She lifted her hand and I shut my eyes expecting another punch, but I opened my eyes surprised when I felt her cup my cheek gently. “That’s enough, Misaki.” She said and I frowned slightly. “That’s enough of pushing yourself.”

I blinked confused and at the same time, my chest ached slightly, not because of the punch, but because of the million emotions going through me. “Konoha is proud of you. Proud to have had you as a ninja that protects it. You have served me and the village loyally and faithfully for all these years…..even after the sudden fall of your clan.” My heart gave a twinge and I clenched my jaw to stop myself from whimpering helplessly.

“You have served us without expecting anything in return and without any form of hesitation to put your life on the line. I think its time we give you your freedom.” My eyes went wide and my heart pounded. Freedom…..what did she mean by freedom? Why was my body reacting like this? My palms were sweating, my eyes wide and glazed over completely and my chest clenching every minute.

“Stay here….with the person you love.” I stopped breathing. Stay in this world…..with Jean? To not go back to Konoha? But….Konoha is my home! Its where I was born, where I grew up…..and where I belong! People here were afraid of me. They didn’t trust anymore….well, except for Jean…..I think. And staying here…..after everyone knowing about who I truly am, would they accept me? Would they actually let me stay here?

“T-tsunade….sama….” I breathed out. She smiled and brought me to an embrace. I froze in place but then held her sides. “Kankuro told me everything. Misaki, its time you found your happiness too.” This time, my lips trembled and tears just fell from my eyes. I bit my lip and shut my eyes. “T-tsunade sama…” I whimpered and she laughed softly.

She pulled away and gently wiped my tears. “Go. Its your turn to start afresh.” I smiled slightly and stepped away from her. I turned to Neji, Lee and Tenten who were smiling and Lee gave me a thumbs up. I turned around and looked at everyone hesitantly. My gaze landed on Jean and my eyes stung painfully and I just stared at him. I knew everyone here had heard our conversation and I was afraid of what reaction I would get.

Would I be…..pushed away?

But my heart leapt in the sky when I saw Jean give a smile and take a few steps out of the crowd. He held his hands open for me and I covered my mouth as sobs escaped. I ran to him and threw my arms around his neck as tears flowed continuously from my closed eyes. “Jean….Jean…..Jean…..I love you….Jean…..I’m so sorry….Jean…” I chanted his name over and over unable to believe that he had forgiven me and accepted me. His arms were wrapped around me and he held me close to him.

“Mia….my Mia….I love you too.” I tightened my hold as more tears escaped. “Jean…..Jean……I’m sorry….Jean….I love you….” I hiccupped from crying so hard. Jean gently pulled away and I wiped my face not wanting him to see how pathetic I looked right now. I always wanted him to see the best of me, and here I was probably with puffy red eyes and a horrible looking face.