Chapter 16 - Truth and Lies

Jean pov:

“Don’t get fresh with my princess, got it?” the man named Kankuro glared and pointed a finger at us. Princess? He was calling Mia his princess?! And she seemed to have no problem at all….wait….could it be that this man was the one Mia liked now?

I clenched my jaw, the tightness in my chest appearing again. I clenched my fists and I could tell that I was trembling. My eyes stung and I looked away. “Whatever.” I hissed and walked past them to the HQ. “You really are pathetic, Mia.” I heard lt Hawkeye say and Mia chuckled. I let out a shuddery breath that clenched my chest more and lt Furey touched my shoulder. “Lt Havoc. I’m really sorry about all this.”

I turned to him and gave a weak smile. “Thanks for supporting me.” I couldn’t quite think of what else to say and we walked to the HQ silently.

>>Timeskip

Today was a mess. I had messed up everything possible. Every damn thing….and it was all because of her and her new boyfriend.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

How could I have been so stupid and thought that an alchemist like her would actually take me and my feelings seriously? She was an alchemist…and I was nothing more than an ordinary soldier with no special skills.

I had given up completely. There was no girl in this world who would truly love me. I was just a toy….a doll which is thrown away when a child gets bored of it. And I had even sent a letter to my parents saying that I was going to stay single for the rest of my life. There were furious at first, but I had managed to convince them after talking to them on the phone.

I sighed. I had messed up so much today, the colonel had decided that I should leave early instead of getting fired for my mistakes. I pulled out a cigarette and put it to my mouth. I pulled out the lighter, but just before I could light it, her face flashed in my mind. I froze in place but then closed my eyes and sighed. She wasn’t my girlfriend anymore so I had no reason not to smoke. But still….she hated it and I couldn’t force myself to smoke.

I felt anger rise in me and I threw the lighter as hard as I could to the side. “Fine! Go find someone else! I don’t need you!” I yelled but my eyes stung again. “I’m sure she would have come here, Scar san.” I snapped my head in the direction of the voice and I saw 2 people standing along with Scar, the one who has been killing state alchemists. I narrowed my eyes and pulled out my gun, instantly forgetting my troubles.

I saw them walk into the alleys between the buildings and I followed them silently. “There she is.” The man with black hair pointed and I saw his eyes become soft. I followed their gaze and stiffened seeing Mia there with that man Kankuro. They were sitting on a bench off the road and just behind them were railings beyond which there was the lake.

“Man, you’re as beautiful as I remember Mi chan!” Mia rolled her eyes and laughed. “Shut up Kankuro! Stop being a perverted stalker!” She pushed him on the shoulder and I felt my heart twinge when he hugged her. “Hey! I may be a slight perv, but I’m not a stalker!” He pouted and I clenched my jaw. “As if! Then what are you doing here, following me everywhere?” She gave a cheeky grin and their faces were barely a few centimeters apart.

If they moved any closer, they could kiss. I felt a painful shock run through me to see her with another person like that. How could she fall for someone else so easily? Looks like I was the one at fault….I thought she was different from other girls…..but I guess I was wrong.

I turned to look at Scar and froze when I saw them watching me. They just stared for a minute but then went back to watching Mia. I didn’t really care right now. I don’t think Scar would try anything on me, so I let my hand holding the gun fall to my side and I looked back at Mia as well.