Chapter 9 - More homunculi

Mia/Misaki pov:

Jean and I laughed as we walked to the HQ. We had the paperwork in our arms but we hadn’t completed all of it. Jean had said that we could give the reason of the homunculus and the colonel would probably let us off for that.

When we got to the colonel’s office, I received strange looks for being in Jean’s clothes. The colonel blinked as we placed the half complete paper work on his table and he frowned. “Mia….it hurts me to see I have been ignored.” He pouted and I rolled my eyes.

“I didn’t know you 2 were so close.” Officer Falman commented and Jean became serious. “Colonel, Mia saw a homunculus in the military yesterday. He almost attacked her so she stayed in my apartment last night as a safety measure.” The colonel slammed his hands on the table and stood up with a glare. “What?! A homunculus?! In the military?!”

I sighed and looked at the table. “Envy.” Everyone looked at me and waited for me to continue. “The homunculus Envy was here. He was in the form of lt col Bernard…..I saw his form falter for a second so I was able to tell.”

“You know about this homunculus?” The colonel asked and I looked at him. “I had seen him once in the city. I asked Edward about him and he told me he’s the homunculus who can shape shift.” The colonel sat back down and frowned. He was deep in thought but then he closed his eyes and sighed.

“This is something of national importance and security. I will schedule an appointment to meet the fuehrer. We will talk to him about this directly.” I nodded my head and sighed. The fuehrer huh? Well, a homunculus who could shape shift definitely wasn’t a joking matter. It could be really dangerous and innocent people could get hurt. I vaguely remembered the fuehrer though. He had been present during the state qualification exams and he was at the highest post in the military.

We sat in the office completing some other paperwork while the colonel went out to fix an appointment with the fuehrer. He had returned quite soon and said we were to meet him immediately. Since it was about dangers within the military, it was of utmost importance. I had requested Jean to come with me and when we reached the fuehrer’s office, the colonel told Jean to wait outside while we spoke.

The minute we entered thought, I stiffened. I looked at the fuehrer and his secretary and I clenched my jaw. Their chakra was just like Envy’s. They were homunculi too. I hadn’t noticed it during the state qualification exam since I didn’t know of their existence yet….and after the exam, I hadn’t thought about it either. I narrowed my eyes at them and flinched when I noticed that the fuehrer was watching me with scrutinizing eyes.

I took a small breath and composed myself as I was offered to sit down in front of the fuehrer. I somehow had the feeling he doubted me and he could tell that I had realized they were homunculi too, but I pushed it aside wanting to stay in character.

He smiled at me and asked his secretary to bring us coffee. She excused herself and only the colonel, the fuehrer and I were left in the room. “So tell me, Miss Mia, if I’m correct?” I nodded with a small smile and fidgeted pretending to be nervous. “I heard you saw a homunculus in the military.” “Y-yes sir. Envy….a shape shifter. He was using the identity of another soldier.”

What was going on here? How come the fuehrer and his secretary were both homunculi? How come no one had noticed? Wait….if the highest ranking officer in the military is a homunculus…..could it be that he was also playing a part in what the other homunculi were doing in the military? Perhaps the military was being manipulated from within. Then what was the point in talking about this matter anyway?

Perhaps they had some really big plans. The fuehrer was most respected and no one doubted him in the least….so he had strived to get this position. It obviously meant they were after something big.