Chapter 17 - Sharingan discovered

Mia/Misaki pov:

I made my way to the office as usual to report about my usual rounds around the city.

I sighed. Ever since I had broken up with Jean, I was pretty much kicked out of the colonel’s office. Well not literally, but I was transferred under another colonel in the department and I was a colleague to lt. col. Bernard. But I knew very well that the colonel and the others had probably sent a request to the fuehrer to kick me out of their team.

Well, its not that I didn’t like working with the lt. col., but I didn’t get to see Jean often. After I had spoken to Kankuro about Jean, I had felt relieved. I still loved him, but I knew that sacrificing my happiness was for the sake of his and the other people’s safety. I missed him quite a bit thought…..I was hoping that despite being ignored, I could at least see him once a day….but now even that opportunity had been stripped clear from me.

I closed my eyes and sighed again. I shook my head and straightened up as I walked into the office. I smiled at my colleagues and waved as lt.col. Bernard waved to me and I went and stood in front of the colonel’s table.

“Colonel Archer sir! I finished my rounds. There doesn’t seem to be anything suspicious happening in the city.” He rested his chin on his entwined hands and watched me with a serious face. Then he gave a smirk and closed his eyes. “Very well. Miss Mia, I would like it if you could go through these papers with me.” He waved his hand to the documents on his table and I nodded, taking a seat next to him.

I picked up the sheet and began going through it.

Colonel Archer was a really….hmm, how do I say it? Perhaps the word unique could describe him. He was silent, mysterious and had a rather dark aura around him. He was like a person you couldn’t quite trust. He wasn’t an alchemist like col. Mustang, but his mercilessness was quite a bit higher than Mustang’s. And I have to say, I didn’t really like him….especially the way he watched me with a scrutinizing gaze. It was slightly unnerving.

I could feel his stare on me even now, even though I was sincerely reading the documents. I tried to ignore it but it was quite uncomfortable. Thankfully, we heard a knock on the door and I looked up. One of the soldiers saluted and gave us an announcement. “Colonel Archer sir! General Henry wishes to see you.”

Col Archer narrowed his eyes, but got up and left. I heaved a sigh of relief and slumped back in the chair. I shook my head and stood up. I stretched my arms above my head and turned to the others. “I’m just going out for a walk.” “Oh, can I join you?” lt. col. Bernard asked hopeful. I mentally sighed but smiled and nodded to him.

He perked up with a big grin and took his coat and we walked out of the office together.

We made it out of the HQ and we were just walking down the streets. I enjoyed the afternoon breeze and I walked with my hands linked behind my back. I was lost in thought the whole time and I barely noticed as lt col Bernard walked beside me.

It was kinda odd. Even though I was working under someone else now and I barely saw Jean, there were times when we passed each other in the hallways. At those times, the way Jean watched me was….uncomfortable. He stayed passive and I couldn’t make out any sort of hate from him towards me. In fact, he gives me a glance, almost smiles and then we walk away from each other.

Had he forgiven me? Or maybe he got a new girlfriend who loved him more than I did? I felt a twinge of pain in my chest. But I gave a sad smile and shook my head. At least he was safe and happy right? That’s what was important.

“Hey, shall we go there and have a snack?” I snapped out of my thoughts and turned to look at lt col Bernard. He was pointing to a small café that served pastries and coffee. I smiled. “Sure, I’d like that.” I said. Actually, having something sweet right now sounded good. I wasn’t in very high spirits and I guess soothing sweet would put some energy in my system.