Ch 32 - Dinner and a Bath

Dr. Hogback, Nami, Usopp, Chopper, and Pygmy sat around a long, rectangular table in the middle of a drafty stone hall with a fancy, golden chandelier dangling overhead. Heavy velvet curtains and oil paintings of freakish portraits lined the walls. Even though Nana was casually eating throughout the dinner, she had her hammer close by and ready for anything. The mansion had more people in there than just the ones Nana saw in front of her. Nana could just feel it in her gut.

"Yosh osh osh!" Dr. Hogback laughed, "It's a pleasure to welcome you to my mansion but my, you sure are grungy. What brings you here?"

"Zombies attacked us in the graveyard, so we ran here for cover," Nami explained.

"Zombies?" Dr. Hogback asked.

"There's a whole bunch of things on this island that is pretty weird," Nana said, "What's the deal with this island anyway?"

"I don't know what they are but that's why I'm here," Dr. Hogback replied.

"So you're conducting research on the zombies?" Chopper asked.

"Indeed I am," Dr. Hogback stated proudly, "People are terrified when they hear 'zombie' but what if we refer to it as 'resurrecting the dead'? Hasn't that been all of mankind's eternal dream?"

"The dead should stay dead," Nana said curtly, resulting in a menacing glare from Chopper. She stuck her tongue out at the reindeer, "That's just my opinion."

"But don't you have a special someone or two you'd like to see return from the dead?" Dr. Hogback asked with a grin.

"I honestly can say I do not," Nana said and then pointed a finger at Chopper, "And don't give me that look, Chopper. It's the truth."

"Yosh osh osh osh," Dr. Hogback laughed, "Toying with human morality is unorthodox medicine that some find disrespects God. That's why I dropped out from society to conduct my research in secret and away from judgement."

"Hear that, Nana?" Chopper said, "You're the reason why Dr. Hogback has to hide."

Nana rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Yes, I'm the only reason."

"A ton of people will be happy if your research is successful, Dr. Hogback!" Chopper said excitedly, "I'll be rooting for you, Dr. Hogback!"

"You're rather open-minded! Thank you, Dr. Chopper," Dr. Hogback replied.

"I'm not happy because you thanked me or anything, you jerk!" Chopper sang. He pulled out a large piece of paper and a black marker and held it up to the world famous doctor, "May I have your autograph?"

"Why, certainly!" Dr. Hogback said as he picked up the marker and wrote out a thank you note to Chopper.

"EEE!" Chopper squealed, "Can I see your laboratory too?"

The smile on Dr. Hogback's face never left but his face turned eerie and creepy as he loomed over Chopper. "Whatever you do, steer clear of my laboratory!," he seethed viciously.

Instantly, Nana was on her feet and about to pull him away from Chopper when Nami caught her by the wrist. Nana looked at Nami and the navigator shook her head. Nana took a deep breath and sat back down.

Plop!

Cindry-chan came up to the table and casually threw some flan directly onto the table top.

"AHHH! Hey, Cindry-Chan," Dr. Hogback gasped, "Please put the flan on some plates! Couldn't you at least do that for me?"

"I wish plates would disappear from the face of the earth," Cindry replied stonily.