Ch 35 - Nana vs The Straw Hat Zombies

The Straw Hats left the Thousand Sunny and they went their separate ways. Zoro and Franky headed off to the lower bridge in search of the samurai and skeleton while Luffy, Sanji, and the others took the stairs up to the top floor towards the shadow stealing Warlord. Nana ran with her hammer and shotgun on her back with Sanji and Luffy leading the way. With the additional weight, she had left her bag and waterboard behind.

Word had spread around the island that the Straw Hats were aware of using salt to purify the zombies so many of the zombies fled at the sight of them and didn't even try to take on any of the Straw Hats. Still, that did not stop Sanji and Luffy to beat up whichever one was in their eyeline.

When they approached a second flight of stairs, Robin skidded to a halt. "Oh no! I completely forgot!"

"What? What's wrong?" Nana demanded.

Robin's eyes were fixed on the top of the stairs, where Luffy and Sanji were closest to. Five white, translucent ghosts with big black eyes and thick lips came flying towards them. Nana's throat tightened and she took a fearful step back.

The ghosts flew through the bodies of Sanji and Luffy and the two men crumpled into the fetal position. "I can't take it anymore," Luffy whimpered, "In my next life, I hope I'm reborn as a mosquito larva."

"I hope my eyebrows curl up too much and I become an idiot," Sanji croaked.

"Luffy! Sanji! What the hell has gotten into you two?!" Nana shouted at them.

"Ne-ga-tive! Ne-ga-tive!" the ghosts started to sing as zombies stomped over to the two depressed men.

"Those ghosts...they can dishearten you with a touch and destroy your will," Robin replied, "As of right now, we don't know how to counter them."

"Got 'em," one of the zombies exclaimed gleefully, grabbing Luffy by the arm while motioning for someone to get the cook.

"Crap! They caught both of them!" Usopp screamed.

Bang!

A shot of sea water flew directly into the mouth of the zombie holding Luffy, who instantly dropped the rubber man and clutched his throat.

"What is it? What happened?" the other zombies cried to him. They watched in horror as his mouth opened and a dark shadow came floating of it. He collapsed lifelessly on the floor.

"Just because they're out, you think you can just do what you will in front of us?!" Nana called out with as much confidence as she could muster while nervously eyeing the ghosts floating above.

The rest of the zombies scrambled out of the way, dropping Sanji as well, while the ghosts came flying towards Nana and the group. Nana's face turned pale and her feet felt like they were nailed to the ground.

"Ahhh!" screamed Usopp. He ducked low, clasping his hands over his head, and summoned all his courage. He ran forward and grabbed Nana by the wrist. He pulled her out of the way just in time to avoid the ghosts, "We gotta go!"

The Straw Hats sprinted forward with Usopp scooping up the bummed out Sanji while Chopper grabbed Luffy. They raced up the stairs with the zombies and ghosts chasing after them. "Hurry! If we get touched by those ghosts, it's game over!" Usopp shouted, "Our only hope is to carry them and run!"

The ghosts started to swoop in closer and closer towards the group. "I really fucking hate this place!" Nana cried.

"Woof woof!" Pygmy agreed.

"S-Stay back!" Usopp screamed to the ghosts while carrying Sanji on his back.

Nana's eyes were locked forward. She knew if she turned and saw the ghosts, she'd be paralyzed with fear. All her hairs stood up and her back tingled. Are they coming? Are they close?