Ch 71 - Ascension

Zoro, Nana, Pygmy, Sanji, Nami, Chopper, and Usopp all decided to get some fresh air while the other Straw Hats continued their festivities. The mermaid was kind enough to show them a terrace that overlooked the palace grounds and was encased in an air bubble for their human breathing needs.

Nami relaxed and sat leaning on her hands. Usopp's stomach was larger than a bowling ball as he sprawled on the terrace with his limbs extended. Zoro started to make a nice little snoring bubble while he napped.

Chopper and Pygmy were having a hard time keeping Nana away from Sanji. In her drunken state, she was trying hard to wrap her arms and legs around him like an octopus, which would in turn cause him to nose bleed. Pygmy pulled Nana away by her backpack while Chopper stood in front of her in his arm point just in case she broke free and he had to run interception.

"Nana! Aren't you afraid of killing Sanji?!" Chopper shrieked.

"You can't have him!" Nana snapped, "He's mine!"

"Yes...Yes...Don't interfere, Chopper," Sanji swooned, "Come to me, Nana!"

"I'm not trying to take him!" Chopper snapped, "I'm trying to take you!"

"You can't have me!" Nana replied taking a small step back, "I'm mine!"

Hot steams shot out of Chopper's nostrils. "THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!"

"Oh! You guys are here too?"

Everyone except the sleeping swordsman turned to see their captain with a large plate of food balanced on his head and Jimbei walking next to him. Luffy's eyes lit up when he saw Chopper, Nana, Sanji, and Pygmy. "Ooh! Are you guys playing a game? I want in!"

"Luffy, have you forgotten why we came out here?" Jimbei sighed, "I'm trying to explain to you the state of the world."

"The state of the world?" Chopper, Nami, and Usopp asked.

"Aha!" Nana cried victoriously as she ditched her backpack and ran past Chopper. She tackled Sanji to the ground by the waist and clung onto him like a child. "MINE!"

"AH! I got distracted!" Chopper wailed.

"Oy! I said I want in! Nana, you can't just start the game without warning," Luffy huffed and stamped his feet.

"Pay attention!" Nami lectured and punched Luffy hard on the head, "This is important! Chopper, just ignore those two. Sanji-kun seems to be back to normal so I'm sure it'll be fine."

Nana buried her face into Sanji's chest. "Mine," she murmured, "All mine."

"Ah," Sanji said as he stroked her hair and then kissed the top of her head, "Yours."

"Watch it, Nami!" Luffy huffed as he set his food down on the floor and began to eat, "What if I had dropped my food?"

Nami gave out a loud and exasperated sigh as she motioned for Jimbei to talk. He looked at her with uncertainty but sat down on the floor anyways. "I wonder how much you know already, Luffy. Have you heard about Akainu and Aokiji's epic fight?"

"WHAT?!" Luffy exclaimed through his stuffed cheeks, "Akainu and Aokiji had a big fight?!'

"That's what i thought," Jimbei sighed, "Rayleigh is terrible. He didn't tell you anything during your two years of training?"

Luffy shook his head.

"I knew about it! I knew!" Chopper boasted.

"Right after the war two years ago," Jimbei explained to a confused Luffy, "Fleet Admiral Sengoku resigned. He recommended Aokiji to be his successor since he was very popular with his own men but a lot of the higher levels favored Akainu so he became a major contender. Normally, Aokiji doesn't show passion but he hated the idea of Akainu becoming the Fleet Admiral. They stood against each other and the first-ever feud between the Admirals erupted into a battle on an island somewhere. Whoever lost would withdraw his candidacy and the winner would lead the Navy. The battle lasted for over ten days...bBut as we now know, Akainu won."