Ch. 16

We take separate taxi's to the wedding dress shop. Me and Mya in one and Easton and Truex in the other. Walking in together I notice Debbie pulling out dresses and browsing before she sees us. I can't picture myself and my mom searching for a dress for my wedding day. She's not the type to drop everything to help me do anything. Yes, I may have lived with her for 18 years, but I was taking care of myself and her more than she ever did me. I look at Mya noticing her face light up as she looks around the store. The sales associate comes forward asking me when my appointment is and I look at Mya, unsure of the exact time.

"10:00, and I'm getting married. Not her." Mya, clarifies happily.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. It's becoming common for brides to bring the fiancé, I just assumed." She apologizes, gesturing to just beyond me.

    I look at her perplexed, then realize she was indicating Truex and I mentally roll my eyes. She happily introduces herself as Kristen and we follow her to a sitting area with a large round carpeted pedestal surrounded by mirrors. Debbie and Easton sit on the long couch. Easton takes up a large portion and once Truex sits down there's no room, so I stand beside it. Mya starts to explain what she's looking for in a dress. I hear all lace and a low back, then Truex pulls me down onto his lap. Not waiting to interrupt the consultation to ask for a chair, I sit perched on him like a little lapdog.

"And what is the budget?" Kristen asks, politely.

Mya glances behind her to me and then to Truex, smiling nervously. I look at Truex, knowing she isn't asking me what the price range should be. "No, budget." He answers, simply.

Mya turns back to the woman, clearly happy about Truex's answer.

    They leave to go to a fitting room and Debbie starts to fidget in her spot. "I hope she tries something other than lace. The beading on these dresses are beautiful, don't you think?" She asks, dreamily.

Not realizing she's speaking to me until she looks at me. "Oh, yeah. Very pretty." I agree.

"Do you think they'll wait long to have kids?" She questions, conversationally.

Knowing this time she's talking to me. I answer. "She hasn't mentioned it to me, but I know she really wants to be a mom." Smiling at the thought of Mya becoming a parent and me an honorary aunt.

"What about you?" She inquires.

"Do I want kids?" I ask, stunned.

She nods, "You know, someday?" She questions, trying to make it sound like she's vaguely interested. I can see the intensity in her eyes though. It must be an inherited trait.

"I suppose someday I might." I glance at Truex. Who is slouched on the couch with his head back and eyes closed, smirking his fool head off.

Easton isn't so silent, unfortunately. "I can't even imagine the offspring you'd produce. They're sure to have cloven hooves."

"You think so? And what about your kids?" I inquire.

"They'll be as handsome as their daddy." He replies, easily.

"Oh, so you plan to adopt?" I ask, seriously. Making Truex laugh.

Easton grins. "Well done." He states, holding up his hand for a high five and I slap his open palm. "What about Truex, what will his kids be like?" Easton asks, ominously. Deep in thought and faking a full body shiver at whatever image he's conjured up.

"Handsome, like their daddy." I answer, feeling the hand that Truex has resting on my hip tighten. I smile mischievously up at Easton as he fakes outrage.

"I see how it is." He replies, suspiciously.

     I'm about to respond but I see Mya, in a beautiful gown coming towards us. She looks so happy it's definitely contagious. I can feel myself smiling from ear to ear.