Ch. 19

The day before we leave for Las Vegas I decide to go by Flynn Simmons's art gallery. I want to know why he hasn't reached out to me to let me know he's changed his mind about the show. I dress quickly and grab my wallet from my over sized purse with nothing but loose change and gum in it.

"Where are you going?" Truex asks, dripping wet with sweat. He and Easton love to work out apparently, because all week they've been challenging each other with weight lifting, sit-ups, pushups you name it, they've bet on it.

"Town."

He gives me a serious look, like my explanation isn't good enough. When I don't give in to his silent demand he asks, "Where in town?"

"Flynn's art gallery. I want an explanation about why he hasn't called." I explain.

"I'm coming with you."

"You're all gross." I point out, his skin shinny with sweat.

"Give me five minutes." He orders, walking away.

I roll my eyes, like I'd wait on him. I turn towards the door when I hear Easton calling my name. Curiously, I walk down the hall to the gym.

"What?" I ask, poking my head in.

"I want to see your art room. Truex won't show me."

"Thats nice of him." I reply, honestly.

"I can't see it?" He's asks. Its not that I don't want him to see it. Just nice that Truex was thoughtful enough to wait for me to show Easton.

I shrug, "Just don't touch anything." I warn, walking to the studio door. I open it for him with flourish and wave him inside. His eyes dart around the room taking in the canvases and walking closer to them.

"You did these?" He questions, looking through my most recent work.

"Yes....Man, its a good thing you're so pretty." I reply, mockingly.

He glances back smiling. "Hey, beauty doesn't come with brains. You should know."

"I'm smart!" I argue, offended.

"I know..." He winks.

I glare at him. "So all ugly people are smart? And all pretty people are dumb?"

"No, just you and I." He corrects.

I laugh at his messed up logic. "Right."

"So, why am I babysitting you?" He asks, innocently.

"I didn't know you were." I tell him, confused. The lightbulb goes off in my head. "That sneaky bastard." I say, realizing what Truex did.

"What does he want?" Easton asks, interested.

"Who knows?" I answer, bewildered. "What he doesn't want, is for me to go alone to see the asshole who said he'd showcase my pieces and then never called to confirm it." I tell him, glancing out the door when I hear the gym door open. Truex looks relieved to see that I'm still here. "I think I'm part of the stupid crowd." I say, sadly looking at Easton.

He opens his arms wide, grinning. "Welcome." I laugh at his display.

"Thanks for not showing him my stuff, without asking me." I tell, Truex when he stands beside me.

He nods. "Ready?"

"I want to come. Give me five minutes." Easton demands, squeezing past us to go shower. I groan as he leaves the room.

"Look what you started." I blame Truex.

"I'd like it if you to tell me when you're leaving the house." He states, ignoring my previous statement.