Chapter 3: And One Gardley

Dinner was prepared, patiently waiting for my father and his friend, and his family, to arrive at the house. I had showered, changed into a nice T-shirt and jeans. I don't know why I had to dress up for my own home. In my opinion, it should just be the guests; they should try to impress us after me and my mum slaved over the stove making the meal... Just saying. But no matter; I didn't mind changing. I just figured that if we really hit it off tonight, I'd be able to dress more comfortable if they ever came back. Because by then, we'd establish a friendship or whatever and it'd be fine.

"Louis, pass me the brush." My mum awaits, holding one hand open for the brush and another holding Lily's hair.

I do as she instructs and just stand there as the twins get their hair done. My mum has them wearing matching sundresses, a pair of dress shoes, and baby doll socks. Their sandy locks are being tamed, styled in matching pig tails. A little cliche if I may add.

"Way to feed into the twin stereotype."

"Shut it, Louis." My mum says, dismissing my sly comment. "Alright lovely, you're done." My mum lifts Lily off her bed, letting her go to runabout with Leah. I give it ten minutes until one of them messes up their dress. Its bound to happen; they're dirt magnets.

"Make sure neither of them get outside. I don't want them even looking at the door to get any ideas." She says wearily. "I got to change, keep an eye out for your father."

I nod my head and exit from the room. My dad called earlier to say he was a mere hour away. He should be arriving in a few minutes.

As if on cue, I hear the front door unlock and the joyful squeals of my sisters spread through the house. "Papa, papa!"

I hear his hearty laughter bouncing off the walls. I watched, leant against the wall, as the twins tackled him, bringing him to his stiffened knees. His tired eyes and creased forehead seemed to disappear whenever they were around. They made him happier, more alive. I'd like to say I had the same effect on him but I don't see it. I know theres love there; he just has a "manly" way of showing it.

"Alright girls, c'mon. Let me up before I'm stuck like this." He smiles.

After much coaxing and tickling, they reluctantly back off, giving him space to stand. He spots me while ascending from the floor, reaching a hand out.

"Well... You gonna just stand there or help your old man." He says gruffly, a smirk playing on his lips. I walk over, aiding my father as his bones pop back into place. He groans, stretching out his limbs. "Those two will be the death of me." He mutters, patting me on the back. "Now wheres your mum?"

"Right 'ere, hun." She says, reappearing from their bedroom. "Welcome home." She says warmly, embracing my father. He pecks her lips, smiling at her as he always did when they were together. I roll my eyes. Even in their old age, they still resemble teens, love struck. I don't think a day has ever gone by where my father didn't ask my mother how she was doing or that he loved her. They've been together since secondary school; he was her only love and vise versa. Thats what my mum wants for me.

"Alright kids, get a room." I say to them as they start sweet talking each other. The last thing I need is for them to start getting all romantic and pop out a new sibling. I already got two for one, so I'm good. My dad lays one last kiss on her, smacking her bum. My mum laughs, scolding my father as she scurries away with him right on her heels.

Once they calm down, I enter the kitchen with Lily and Leah on either side of me, sitting them at the table. I over hear my mum ask about our awaiting company and my dad announces that they'll be arriving soon. He goes to call them in the other room and I assist my mum in setting the table. Since theres company, shes bringing out the fine china and fancy placemats, strategically placing the appropriate silverware in the right places. I forget that we even have these; I hardly see them. I'm surprised they haven't evaporated or ran away from neglect.