Chapter 4: Petty Games

"Oh, Louis..." My mum comes from behind the counter and examines me. "Did you even sleep last night?"

I nod, "Um, yeah. Just had a hard time getting comfortable."

Actually, the real reason was because of that stupid girl. Her face had haunted my thoughts all night and I couldn't shake her out of my head. I was involuntarily coming up with explanations of why she could've said what she did, and if it was genuine or not. I could never tell with Eliza, she had almost too much self control and could switch moods easily. She always kept you guessing, tricking people into feeling sorry for her when in reality, she was the culprit. She was clever in this way so I never knew how to respond.

The constant questioning of whether it was another trick or real kept replaying in my mind. What irked me was that a part of me wanted to believe Eliza was human, and had feelings that could be hurt. While the other didn't give in to her trickery, reminding myself of her wicked nature. I was truly conflicted over this and wanted it to all just end. So today, if I ran into her, I would pull her aside and ask. I needed an answer or these bogus thoughts would never leave my head and I would be left wondering if she was ever telling the truth or not. And for some eerie reason, I wanted to think she was.

~

"Economics... Economics... Ah, here it is." I walk into the classroom, greeted by a guy who looks around my age, handing out the syllabuses.

"Thanks mate." I pat his shoulder, "keep up the good work." I say smirking and take one of the sheets of paper. He must be the teachers pet, volunteering to hand the papers out and such. What a nark. Why cant he just take what he can get by attending the class like everyone else. All my instructors, well most, love me and I don't hand out sheets of pretty paper.

"Hey Louis." A little cluster of girls say in chorus. I shoot them a wink and take a seat in the back, next to my friends Shelton and Siegal.

I liked hanging out with them because it was like having a piece of home with me. They were twins, like my sisters, and couldn't be more warped. One felt an itch, the other helped scratch it. When one was sick, you'd hear the other sniff even though he was fine. It was creepy and amazing at the same time, just like my little twerps at home.

"Whats up my gingas?" I say teasingly. "Yeah, yeah, yeah.." They both say, rolling their eyes. They hated being called that cause of their fiery hair. I don't understand why though. If I had a name just because my hair was another color, I'd welcome it. Well except ginger of course. That I would never accept.

"Oui, here she comes." Shelton says, nudging his brother. Their eyes venture to a cute ebony, going to sit with the girls who greeted me earlier.

"Alright, try to act normal this time." Siegal says, swatting his brother's arm away and fixing the books on his desk.

"I am normal, you're the one who needs to not be so nerdy." Shelton snorts, ruining Siegal's assortment of books and supplies.

"Nerdy? You study more than I do!" He says, punching his brother in the arm.

"But you make better grades than me!" Shelton counters, returning the blow.

"That just means that I'm smarter, not a nerd. You're just mad cause I'm-"

"I don't mean to interrupt this banter going back and forth," well actually I do, "but you may want to quiet down. You have an audience." I whisper, nodding towards the girl in question.

They stop their bickering to turn and look in the direction of the giggling crowd, both smiling sheepishly. "Hey Maci.." They wave shyly.

"Hey boys, everything alright?" She laughs.