Chapter 53: Dinner From Hell pt. 2

Unaware of each other's feelings, Louis and Eliza are at odds, following their own plan. Louis is on the borderline of snapping while Eliza is on the edge of succumbing to the effects of her increased medication. When Louis enters, the two look at one another for the first time in days. Louis' eyes hold much contempt and animosity and Eliza is simply trying to stay calm under all the pressure. However, shes becoming more dispassionate as the night goes on and is unable to fully express her emotions. Neither of them know what to expect from this dinner, or what the other may be thinking; but time is ticking, and soon, they'll figure out just how precious those moments were.

<LOUIS' POV>

(A few minutes earlier)

After busting my knuckles against the damn wall, I made the mistake of doing it a few more times to release anger. I didn't bust any more holes in the plaster, but I'm pretty sure my left hand is fractured from the multiple hits. I can hardly extend my fingers without wincing and its beginning to swell up.

Pressing my ear to the door, I check to see if anyone's in the vacinity. I don't want to accidentally run in to my mum along the way and be questioned for it. When I determine its clear, I skip to the bathroom and lock the door behind me. I pull an unused cloth off the shelf and turn on the water. Placing my hand under the cool liquid, I curse as the cuts sting at the contact. Once I'm done cleaning the cuts, I grab a few band-aids and then wrap my hand as I've seen the trainers do. Its sloppy but will looks sturdy enough.

As I'm returning back to my room, my stomach grumbles, reminding me of the meal just a few yards from my reach. They couldn't have arrived already could they? I dont know how much time has past since my mother told me of their coming, but maybe theres a chance they haven't yet? If so, I could slip in, make a plate, and hide away without going hungry. I was promised a portion of this meal afterall.

I cautiously approach the kitchen, checking to see if the ghost is clear. No ones in sight so I enter with ease, looking for any clean plates. Luckily my mum had them placed nicely on the counter, probably for our company. I bitterly lick my hands and swipe them over the fine china. Hope you enjoy that.

Just as I am concocting my next plan for sabotage, I overhear voices coming the dining room. I recognize my mums and another female chatting away as they grow near. Dammit, they're here.

I'm too late to get my food when my mum appears around the corner, momentarily glaring at me before ignoring my presence all together. She whisks the pot of stew out of reach and struts back to her company.

"Ungrateful children don't deserve stew." She mutters before going out of sight.

I roll my eyes and slump on the corner, irritated that I'll be left to starve by my begrudging mother. If thats the new law around here then why the hell is Gabriel getting some. I banefully watch them from the corner of the room, being sure not to be seen. My breath hitches when I spot Eliza next to my mum. Her hair is in waves over her shoulders, shes not heavily painted but is glowing from whatever shes done to her face. She looks bored of her mind, lost in thought as the bastards mum continues to talk the night away. I notice her and Gabriel aren't sitting right next to each other, but a seat apart. Why is that..?

Could Eliza not want to sit by him? Could this be her way of showing her resentment towards Gabriel? The crazy thoughts continue to pilfer the hatred I had coming into this and leads me to fantasize that she still has feelings for me. My chest aches entertaining the idea knowing its wrong. In reality, they're probably just trying to respect my parents' house and not have a snog fest at the table.

During their dinner, Gabriel clumsily drops his fork, a hint of a cheeky smile on his face as she goes under the table to retrieve it. My eyes snap to Eliza and I see hers widen a bit, guiltily looking around for witnesses. Gabriel ascends from the floor and leans over to Eliza to whisper something in her ear.