Chapter 15: Date- pt. 1

"So why do you need the car this time? Goin' to another party?" My mum asks, grabbing the twins some sausage rolls from the oven.

"No.. Its more like a uh, date." I tell her, resting my hand on the back of neck. It feels so stiff right now. My whole body does really.

"A date?" She gasps, grinning wildly. "With who? Eliza?" She asks readily, running up to the bar with excited eyes.

"Mum, no. Ugh, why is she always the first girl you think of." I shake my head at her. "I'm beginnin' to think you're obsessed."

"So what if I am." She shrugs. "I think shes a nice girl."

"You hardly even know her..."

"First impressions go a long way Louis." Psh, yeah right. If thats so, then my mum should've met Eliza when we were still in primary school. See how good her first impression would be then.

"So if its not Eliza, then who?" She asks.

"Amelia Hart."

"...You're talking like I know who that is," she states, looking at me blankly. "Can you give me some details or somethin'? Who is this Amelia Hart?"

"Shes just a girl in my class." I shrug.

"Just a girl." My mum mimics me. "Well if shes just some girl, why're you takin' her out? You don't seem too excited abou'tit. Isn't that right girls."They both shake their heads, agreeing with my mum.

Maybe because it wasn't my idea to ask her out. I'm only taking her on this date to prove a point and I feel partially guilty for doing so. It seemed like a good idea at the moment, trying to one-up Eliza. But now that its settled in my head, I feel kind of sick for going through with it. Amelia doesn't deserve this. She probably thinks I really like her when in reality, its just a bet.

Maybe I can turn this around. If the "date" goes well, there could possibly be another. Who knows, I may start to fancy Amelia. I don't know her that well so this could be the start of something new. I mean, shes smart, intelligent, well-mannered, light-humored; shes the ideal woman. And if my mum loved Eliza, no doubt she'll like Amelia. Once she meets her, she'll totally forget her. Sounds like a plan.

That is if I can follow through with it.

"Just trust me on this mum. Shes the type of girl you want me with."

My mum still doesn't look convinced. I knew she wouldn't buy it; I hardly do and I'm the one saying it. I'm still trying to talk myself into it.

"If you say so Lou.." She sighs, flaking off the bar to join the girls at the table. "But I don't think you'll be able to."

What?

"Your fathers work is havin' this banquet tonight and we need you to babysit the girls."

You cant be serious..

"Cant we just call a babysitter?" Thats what normal people do in these situations.

"Why pay for one when we have a son to do it for free." My dads husky voice joins the conversation. Great. Why'd I get stuck with stingy parents.

"He has a point Lou." My mum agrees, kissing my dad as he joins her at the table with the girls.

I collapse my head down on the bar. They don't understand whats at stake here. I need to go on that date. If I come up with a lame excuse like, 'oh, I had to babysit', one, it'll make me look like a total jerk to Amelia, and two, Eliza would think I was trying to sliver my way out of the bet and tell my secret. But what am I suppose to do? I'm stuck at home watching the twins; no other options. I cant just tell her to come over here..