Chapter 6: Runaway

Was this a dream? Was everything around me a figment of my imagination? Had I accidentally taken the wrong meds again and began hallucinating? Thats the only explanation for this, for everything happening.

I was watching over Eliza, trying to keep her dry and putting a warm towel on her head. I had placed her on my bed so my mums couch wouldn't be soiled. I would have her change out of her filthy clothes but she hasn't woken up yet and theres no way I'm going to undress her. I hardly liked carrying her in here, I don't want to have to touch her anymore than I have to.

"Louis, I don't think its working." Lily says shaking her head. "Shes still cold." Leah says touching Eliza's cheek.

"Its cause shes still wet." I explain. "See.." I take a tiny piece of her sweatshirt, squeezing the fabric to show the moisture still held inside.

"Why doesn't she take it off?" Lily asks.

"Cause she's still asleep."

"Why won't she wake up?" Leah asks, cocking her head to the side, observing Eliza.

"Thats a good question kiddo... I don't really know."

I was too busy hating her to think about that. Pushing back my dislike for Eliza, I realize just how bad shape she may be in. Her skin is like ice and her complexion is pale. I put my ear to her chest and discover her breathings shallow too. The combination of being in the rain, getting drenched and passing out in it, then staying in her wet clothes, is basically asking for pneumonia. Thats one thing I learned in my med class.

"Alright, girls, do you wanna help Lou Lou with something?"

They nod eagerly. I get up from my spot on the bed and walk over to my drawers. I pull out one of my T-shirts and some joggers; along with socks and a beanie.

"I need you two.." I begin, sitting the stack on the bed. "to change her into these. Put the shirt where the wet one is, the pants where her wet ones are, then the socks are for her feet, and the beanie's to keep her head warm. Got it?"

"Got it, Lou Lou!"

Most people would probably laugh at my trust in these little girls. I know they're five but both of them are very smart when they want to be. When it comes to assisting me in serious matters, they always pull through. Theres people my age who cant even follow the instructions I give these girls and they do it flawlessly; especially if its important like this.

I walk out of my room, closing the door behind me to give Eliza privacy. Ugh, I cant believe I'm even giving her that much respect. She is still Eliza. I know I put our little feud to side for a minute to help her, but now that I know she'll be okay after this, I can go back to normal.

I'm going to have to burn those clothes now when shes done with them. They're probably infected with whatever loony disease she picked up from her parents. And the bed, I'm going to have to throw the sheets out, maybe even the bed itself.

How am I even suppose to sleep tonight? Until I do that, I'm going to have to lay my head down where Eliza did. I should've sat her on the floor instead of my bed. At least then I wouldn't have wasted so many towels to keep my mattress from getting wet.

Stupid Eliza, why'd she'd have to go out in the damn rain. She made the decision to go out there; why didn't she take an umbrella to cover her. No, instead, she rather take a nap under the jungle gym. And with all that filth on her, and myself, I had to clean out my mums car. She causes nothing but trouble wherever she goes. No matter where I am, she finds a way to drag me down with her. Today was my first day of tryouts and all I wanted to do was come home, relax with my sisters, and enjoy the rest of my night. But I just couldn't have that. Instead, I get fussed at about some girl running away into the park and have to- Wait...why was she running away?