Chapter 39: Strength

My head is throbbing but its only in the back. My hand goes to spot, feeling the sore area. I wince as I touch a certain spot and take my hand away before I can do anymore damage. My eyes flutter open, adjusting to the light around me. A ceiling fan hangs just above me. To my side is a coffee table and an old tv, collecting dust in the corner. I raise myself from the old couch, stretching out my back from the uncomfortable position.

What happened? All I remember is looking for Eliza's brother, then a sharp pain, and black. Nothing from that point. Now I'm sitting in someones living room.

Eliza!

I quickly remember why I was so determined. I scurry off from the couch, looking fervently for Eliza. Theres no telling what that monster is doing to her now. I run out my house, momentarily bewildered by my surroundings. This isn't my lawn, I must still be Eliza's afterall. I never left!

I dash back inside, not giving thought to the fact I just ran outside with only a jumper and sweats and that my Nan's car has disappeared. I brush off the chill and continue my search.

"Eliza!" I call again, but theres no answer. "Eliza, where are you?"

I begin to panic as worst case scenarios scroll through my mind. This house isn't that big; she should be able to hear me if shes in the vicinity.

What if he's hit her again, maybe even knocked her out too? I swear if that mongrel put his hands on her again I'll-

My small rant is interrupted when I hear footsteps coming from the stairs. I immediately think its Eliza and rush over to see who it is. Relief washes over me as I see the feminine legs making their way down, but that slowly turns to confusion as the rest of the body appears.

"Nan?" What... Shes still here? But her car? I remember it being gone when I ran outside. Maybe I didn't look as hard as I thought.

Her weary eyes meet mine as she descends from the last step. I'm at her side in seconds, eager and anxious to know whats got her so distraught.

"Whats the matter? Wheres Eliza?"

"Hush now, Louis." She says gently. "Shes just upstairs."

"Is she alright? Why didn't she come down?" I start bombarding her with a bunch of more questions regarding Eliza. I don't even give her a chance to respond as I move past her up the stairs, straight to her room.

I freeze as I spot her on the bed. Shes sitting with her legs thrown over the side, hair thrown up messily, eyes tired and absent. But what stunned me the most, the reason I came to such an abrupt halt, was that laying in her lap, with arms hung loosely around her waist and body sprawled out on the rest of the tiny mattress, was her brother, sleeping peacefully as she stroked his hair.

Eliza's gaze shifts to me as I lean back against the wall, staring at the two of them. Her eyes are unreadable, no real emotion as she continues her robotic movements.

What the hell is going on...

<ELIZA'S POV>

Louis is just standing there, struck dumb no doubt from what he's seeing. I don't have the energy to react or explain myself. I just want Noah to stay quiet and sleep; thats the only time he's not totally insane. Once he's somewhat sober, things should cool down. Thats how it always works.

I'm trying to ignore the fact that these episodes have been getting more and more frequent. He's becoming a bigger handful than I could imagine. His childish- savage ways are getting the best of him. But only bad behavior, I could deal with. I don't know why I had to be apart of it.