Chapter 49: Purgatory

Day 2: reviews through second and sixth, which is basically a free day since there aren't any exams.

I spend the day studying anyway, using any free time I get to pick up a book and refresh my mind on the topics. Even during my free period I'd go to the common room and fiddle through the library, looking for any school related books to help me. A nostalgic smile crosses my face when I reach a certain aisle, where another person joined me not so long ago.

I momentarily skip down memory lane as I step near the window where Eliza and I had our talk about the kiss. It was in my beginning stage of likeness toward her. I remember how beautiful I thought she was in the light, how her eyes shined with that bronze glow that exposed her soul. It was my first real-sober, conversation with her and to me, it felt timeless. It was only a few minutes but I wanted to spend eternity with her, just standing there with her hand on my chest, gazing into each other's eyes. I should've kissed her in that moment, and I'm sure if we weren't interrupted, I probably would have. What was it that stopped me..

"Oh.." Someone says from the other end. "Louis."

I look up to see a blond girl, hair shaved on one side and eyes a blazing hazel. Her cheeks were pale and eyes cluttered with black liner, a little sunken, along with her uniform being sloppily put together. She sort of looks like.. Could it be?

"Amelia?" I gasp. "Is that you?" I know shes in my class but its not like we come into contact at all. As far as I know, I haven't seen her since that awful date at my house that Eliza so cleverly put together. Also leading to another instance where we could've kissed. Where I should have.

"Yep." She says awkwardly. "Hardly recognize me, huh?"

"The new look is a bit..different." I say, for lack of a better explanation for my shocked expression. "In a good way of course." I quickly add.

"I thought it was time for a change." She shrugs. "Didn't want to be the same ol' drag nob'dy likes." She tries to joke but I know thats a sensitive subject for her.

"Amelia," I sigh, getting the hint. "I'm sorry about that night."

"Its fine Louis, really. I've moved on. I even have a boyfriend now." She blurts and I see her pale cheeks flush.

"Oh, wow. Congrats." I say genuinely.

"Yeah, he's really great." She tells me. "He's even in a band. He plays bass."

"Thats lovely Amelia." I'm beginning to feel uncomfortable . I'm glad that shes found someone but why does she find it necessary to tell me about it.

"Did I mention that they tour around too? Yeah, he does gigs all over the country." She continues to brag, rambling on about her boyfriend. Its actually quite unnerving. I'm stuck between listening to her and finding a way out. Unfortunately she has me trapped in the aisle with no escape in sight. Once again, I'm in need of anyone who could possibly walk by that I know to help me out of this predicament. I don't remember it being this terrible when I was trapped by-

"There you go again!" She exclaims frustratedly, throwing her hands my way. "There is no one here to distract you and you're still not listening to me."

I'm thrown by her sudden outburst. "Amelia-"

"Am I not interestin' enough for you Louis? What do I have to do to get your attention, huh?" Her voice cracks, eyes glossing over. Wow, this is escalating quickly.

"Tell me, if I'm so boring, why'd you ask me out in the first place!"

So this is where it was headed to. I was hoping it wouldn't.