Chapter 26: Dangerous Territory

My mum nearly drops her fork and her eyes widen in shock. The girls laugh at her reaction and my dad doesn't seem to understand why shes reacted like this in the first place.

"Mummy, you look funny!" Lily giggles and tries to mimic my mums faces. Leah finds that even more hysterical and explodes in cackles, making her lose her breath. I pat her back to subside her coughing and return back to my speechless mum.

"Eliza?" She gasps. "No... That cant be."

"Oh, believe it. They've been talking pretty much since school started. But trust me on this, they're made for each other."

"But all those things you said.." She says confused. "How could you be so cruel? I thought you and Eliza were-"

"Friends? Ha, no. Truth is, we cant stand each other. I've hated her since the day we met. We are in no way friends and personally, I want her and her family of nuts to move back to wherever they left and never come back." I say cooly and take a drink of my water. "Thats refreshing." In more ways than one.

"Louis, how could you be so rude?" My mum says disappointedly. Usually I'd be reluctant to say anymore but the words keep spewing out like vomit. I cant stop myself. And I don't really want to.

"Oh mum, I'm not the rude one. I'm actually a saint compared to her. I've helped her in ways you wouldn't believe and still get treated like shit."

"Louis!" She scolds.

"Sorry, I meant shoot. Its shoot girls." I clarify but my darling sisters are too busy sticking pasta up their nostrils to notice. "Anyway, you get the just of it."

"I don't care what kind of problems you may be havin' boy but you will not talk this way at the table or in this house. Now apologize to your mother for using that language."

"My apologies mum." My tone is sarcastic; I didn't mean it to be.

"Lou, what has gotten in to you today? You're all sass and being crude. Do I need to call Nan and ask about your behavior?" My mum threatens. What am I, twelve?

"If you see fit. Won't help much though." I shrug and go clean my plate off. "She doesn't know."

"Well then who else does?" She exhausts. "This isn't my Louis and I'd like to find out why you're acting out."

How about the culprit herself. Eliza fucking Gardley.

"Louis!" My mum exclaims. "What're you doin' to my dishes?" She runs over to me. "Louis, your hands!"

What? I look down to see the plate scattered in pieces on the counter and the ground. My eyes scan over the area back to my hands but they're covered in red. My blood.

"C'mon now, put your hands under the sink." My mum instructs. She guides them under the water and it stings. I can see the tiny shards of china still in my hand. When did I break it? I don't remember smashing it on the counter..or did I break it with my own hands?

"Stay right 'ere. I'll clean this up and get the bandages." My mum then scurries off to the back to get the medical supplies.

"Ooh, Lou Lou broke his plate." This really isn't the time for the peanut gallery to narrate what just happened.

"Uh-oh, he's goin' to get in trouble." Leah joins in with her sister.

"He sure is." My dad grunts, cutting his eyes from me. I like the fact that he hasn't even made a move to leave the table and clean the mess. He probably expects my mum to get on her hands and knees to do it. Shes always the one to take initiative around the house. Now that I think of it, my dad does nothing. I've known this fact for a long time but its never bothered me until now. Why is that?