Chapter 22: My Precious

AUTHORS NOTE BELOW, PLEASE READ :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I lost track of how long I've been in this hallway, sitting against the wall with my head in my hands. I've never felt so low and down. I still cant believe all of this is happening. I would've never guessed that in the end, I'd end up falling for her. My attempt of striking against my feelings faltered and I had to face the ugly truth. I truly fancied Eliza, more than I'd like to admit.

And now I didn't know what to do. She had fallen asleep in the spare room. I know shes exhausted and I'd hate to wake her when shes already gotten so comfortable. But I'm supposed to be returning home with the girls when my mums dinner for two is over with. I cant just leave here at my grandmothers house. Who does that? She'll have to come back with us, but what then?

Do I just drop her off at home even though its the last place she wants to be? Or do I sneak her in again and let her spend the night with me? Why do I even have to figure this out, it isn't my problem. I already helped her escape once, I shouldn't be burdening myself with the issues following. She didn't even have the courtesy to thank me for all the trouble I went through the first time.

I wish I could tell my self to not care and leave her somewhere but I know thats impossible. I frustratingly sigh, running my fingers through my hair. I cant think with all this stress building up.

If I was back home, I could lay on my floor as I usually did and come up with a decent plan and go from there. Right now I'm just coming up empty-handed.

A subtle knock on the wall catches my attention and I see my nan at the other end of the hall.

"Where is she?" She asks softly, coming to stand next to me. I nod over to the spare room. "She fell asleep." I inform her and wait for the next set of interrogations.

"I thought so." She smiles. I quirk a brow at her. "After an hour of waiting for you to come back, I figured such."

"Nan.. I have no idea what I'm doing." I confess. It wasn't like practicing for footy. I hadn't been trained to handle these situations. I was still new to these feelings and making the girl Eliza, who comes with baggage all her own, make things even more complicated for me.

"Its alright Lou," she coos, "you're young, you don't have to."

"But then what do I do about Eliza? I know she doesn't want to go home but I cant take her to my house either."

"Does she have friends that she can stay with?" She inquires. I go through a mental list of associates Eliza has. Not that I kept tabs on her...

There was Marilyn, but I knew she couldn't be trusted. A girl named Trish she often talked to during our practices, her boyfriend, Wesley, and practically everyone she came in contact with considered her their 'friend'.

"I cant think of any." I tell her.

My nan pops me in the back of my head, leaving me befuddled as she shakes her head at me. Here I am in a crisis and shes hitting me? I wasn't trying to be a smart ass this time. Its the truth. I cant think of anyone she'd be willing to stay with. Or I'd trust enough to let her go with. They don't understand Eliza's predicament and would pry her for details. Its none of anyone's business but Eliza's and it should stay secret instead of turning into the next rumor.

"When I said friends, I meant you boy." She groans. "Why are the men in this family so dense.." She mutters.

I look at her confused. "I already said she cant come to my house. My mum and dad wouldn't allow it."