Chapter 51: Holding On By a Thread

<LOUIS' POV>

I slump on the couch next to Ryan, burying my face in the cushion. "I'm so done with all these bloody tests." I mumble against the leather.

"Its not so bad mate. Just a couple more days then its all over." Ryan tries his best to cheer me up, but even he is depressed by the news and joins my pity party. "Why must there be so many.." He asks himself.

Wesley, Ryan, and I spend most of our time sulking here. We could be studying but the combination of footy and books has us drained. Our only time for a break was our free period so we took advantage of the peace around us. Wesley hung loosely over the side of a chair, his limbs balancing off each side as he dozed off. Ryan was leant on the armrest as his palm held his head in place while he crept into a peaceful slumber. Even though I was exhausted, it wasn't enough to close my eyes. My arms and legs just felt heavy and that was the lot of it. So I just laid there watching students bustle around and stress out about exams.

My eyes jolt open when I feel someone shaking my shoulders. I didn't even realize I was asleep.

I relax back into the couch when I see its Rosaria. "Is it sleep time now?" She teases.

"Only for the hardworking Rosie." I smile tiredly, yawning afterwards from my snooze. "You come to join us?"

"No. I actually came to talk to you." She tells me.

"Oh, what about?"

She looks around seeing the various people around us. "Its best if done in private." She whispers. This must be something serious. Perhaps her and Arine are having issues and she needs my advice.

I stand from the couch, stretching out my limbs as she leads me to a desolate area of the common room. She must have a good eye to find this spot so quickly. We take a seat on some chairs placed in a semi-circle. I choose the one closest to her so I'll be able to hear her without speaking too loud.

"So what is it?" I ask her. "Are you and Arnie are alright?"

"No- no. We are good. It is not that." She seems uneasy and begins fidgeting in her seat.

"Then what?" I prompt.

She sighs. "I know you told us not to ask you this, but how are you doing?" Rosaria's tone is full of concern but hesitant it may upset me. I've specifically asked her, well everyone, not to pry about my mental state anymore. The questions become frustrating and it only makes me dwell on the cause of it all.

"I told you, I'm fine." I reiterate, remaining complacent.

"Then what are you doing, Louis?"

I shrug. "I'm not doin' anythin'."

"Louis." She gives me the look. "You and Marilyn have been getting very close lately and I just want to make clear what your intentions are.

"You know how she feels about you and if you keep playin' her it will only end badly." She adds.

"Look Rosie, I know you're just lookin' out but theres nothin' to discuss about that. Marilyn and I decided to start over, so we are. I'm just getting to know 'er again."

"In a romantic way?" She quizzes. "I know you do not really like her. You have told me this many times." She exhausts, trying to convince me.

"To be honest, I really don't know anymore." I tare the thread from the sofa, trying to occupy myself from my investigation but the nerves are getting to me.

"But would it be so wrong if I did?" I ask her.

Rosaria furrows her brows. "If what?" She asks skeptically.