Chapter 46: Nothing Goes As Planned

I blinked my eyes several times just to make sure she was there. It wasn't exactly impossible that she could be standing here. Rosaria told me she had come; yet, seeing her right now was so surreal to me. She was like a ghost from the past; a beautiful phantom sent to haunt me for trying to leave her behind. I didn't expect her to want to see me. I was supposed to seek her out, but of course Eliza made the first move. She always had.

I'm left dumbfounded, looking back wide-eyed. I couldn't form words if I wanted to. That lump in my throat has swelled so much, I cant speak. I'm just left gawking at her as she uncomfortably shifts back and forth, ignoring the cold as she sips her tea.

"I'm sorry." She suddenly says. "I guessed Arnie was lying but I thought.. I don't know- goodbye." She stammers and retreats back inside.

My heart is willing me to move and run after her, but my mind is slow. My body is left paralyzed as she disappears from sight. As soon as shes gone, I collapse to my knees, heaving for air as I try to regain my breath. Was I even breathing? I think not. My only focus was on Eliza standing there in front of me. I almost wish I was sober so I could function properly. At least then I'd remember to breathe.

Once I've recovered, I give standing another try, only stumbling a little. I slap myself a couple times more to organize my thoughts and quicken my way to sobriety. If I'm going to talk to Eliza, I need to be able to form a sentence. I scout the hallways inside, making sure the ghost is clear. I need to find a bathroom and clean up.

My visions a little blurry but I eventually find the bathroom without running into anyone. Just as I'm able to enter, my ears catch the sound of quiet sobbing. I lean against the door, realizing its coming from inside.

I gently knock on the door.

"Somebody's in here." They croak from the other side. "Dammit.." They curse as something clatters to the floor.

Theres no doubt in my mind who it is. I've heard her cry enough times to recognize the pattern, even when intoxicated. Now I'm faced with the decision of waiting until she comes out, or taking off before I'm caught. I'm in a very strong emotional state myself, I don't see how I'd be able to help her when I have my own problems to deal with.

But the look on her face if she were to see me.. Eliza would run into my arms and I'd capture her in a tight embrace. She'd cry in my chest and I'd coo sweet words to make her smile again and let her feel safe and secure, assuring I'd never let her go again. She would raise her head to look at me, and I would remove the fallen hair that covered her face, gazing into her eyes. And finally, she'd lift her supple lips to mine, expressing just how much shes missed me, and I her.

Or, I could leave this spot. When she opens the door, she could find nothing but an empty hall and see I never came. She would dry her tears and realize that she doesn't need me after all and finish the night with a new motive; forgetting about me. Eliza would return to Rosaria and have a quiet night and enjoy herself, not caring about the boy who left her to cry alone for a third time. It seems like all I do is make her cry.

I make my decision, backing away from the door. This is whats best for the both of us. We've put too much energy into each other and its only torn us apart. Its time to end this cycle before it completely destroys us both.

I hear the door begin to jiggle and I quicken my pace down the ball to get out of sight. Unfortunately, as I reach the stairs, I'm met with a drunken Arnie, and behind him, an even more intoxicated Wesely.

"Louis!" They slur as they reach the top, engulfing me in a hug. "Where'd you go, man? We missed ya."

"Is my lady up 'ere?" Arnie's red eyes wander around, squinting hard to focus on something in the distance. "There she is!"