Chapter 11

Normani was alone now, the demon was right, she was alone; and she was badly hurt. The child had been wondering through the rain with a small bag of clothes, some cookies, and a bottle of water. She was wearing her little yellow raincoat as she walked through the streets in her rain boots. Mr Tibbs was carefully put inside her raincoat so he wouldn't get wet. While walking along the road, it became slippery and she fell down the side of the road and tumbled to the ground below due to a small landslide, trapped by logs and branches. But she didn't cry, she couldn't. Her necklace was keeping her safe from the supernatural right now, but it was the natural that was slowly killing her; and all the little girl could do right now was just wait to see if someone would find her.

This situation all began the day she had come home with Clara in the car. Dinah, Lauren, and Normani were all traveling back to the city with Clara to go see Milika at the hospital morgue. Ally and Kehlani were going to come back with the rest of the group a couple of hours later.

For the first time in a long time, Dinah didn't speak, nor did she even look at Normani, and every time the child tried to put her hand on the Tongan, she would pull her hand away.

When they arrived at the hospital they were lead to the morgue where Milika was sitting, tears running down her face.

"Mama?" Dinah said as she went to her mother.

"Oh Dinah," her mother said as she hugged her daughter tightly, "She's gone,"

"How?"

"The demon tortured her, and then it snapped her neck before throwing her against the wall," Milika said, "There was blood everywhere,"

"Dinah?" Normani started as she tried to put her hand on Dinah's.

"Get the hell away from me," Dinah snapped as she pulled her hand away.

"Dinah," Milika said.

"It's her fault, her and her stupid powers, she should have stayed the hell away from us,"

"Dinah,"

But she had walked away.

"We'll take her home with us, it might be easier for Dinah to deal with her grief," Clara said as Lauren looked at Normani sadly and picked the child up.

Milika just nodded her head, "You be a good girl for Lauren and Clara, okay,"

"Okay, but what about Dinah?" Normani asked.

"She's angry right now, so it's best to leave her alone, okay," Milika said softly as Normani put her arms around Lauren's neck.

"Okay,"

And the days that followed weren't much better. Ally was with Dinah most of the time and the grieving girl still refused to look at Normani let alone talk to her. On the day of the funeral it was raining. A fitting effect for how everyone was feeling.

Alma may have been a strict woman, but she was still a loving mother and a grandmother. When the church service was done, and everyone was at the cemetery, they watched as her coffin was lowered into the ground.

After everyone had left, Dinah was still standing at the grave, along with her mother, Lauren, Ally, Kehlani and her mom. Normani was standing next to Lauren.

"I'm sorry grandma, I'm so sorry," Dinah had whispered.

"She left this behind for you DJ," Milika said as she gave Dinah a necklace of Saint Luke the Evangelist, patron Saint of Doctors and Physicians.

Dinah put it on and felt love pouring out of it, and protection. The last feelings of her grandma that she'd ever feel.

"She loved you very much DJ, and that necklace was for you for when you decided to go to medical school," Milika finished.