Chapter Nine

Lexa's POV-
"You were worried" I state to Luna as we go in the commanders tower for lunch. When she looks at me I see the anxiety in her eyes and I know that something is wrong. "What's wrong Luna?" I ask. She looks around and pulls me into a nearby room, the room seems to be unoccupied.

"You and I both know what we have to do to become Commander" Luna says looking me straight in the eye. "I don't think I can do it"

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't think I can kill the other night bloods Lexa" Luna says, she runs her hand through her hair. "I don't think I can kill you" she says quietly. "Lexa you are like my sister, I... I couldn't"

"What are you saying Luna?" I ask, although i already know the answer. She sighs.

"I'm going to run, when the Commander is dead and a new one is needed, I am going to run" she whispers to me.

"That will get you killed"

"And so will fighting the other night bloods" she mutters. I finally understand, it isn't about her killing the night bloods, it's about her getting killed.

"You're a coward, you don't want to die so you take the best option" I snap at her.

"Do you really want to kill me Lexa?" She asks in the same tone I used. I've thought about this before and I have had the answer for a while.

"We all have to do things that we don't want to do Luna and if it came down to me and you. Yes I'd kill you because our people deserve a leader that will unite them" I say. I keep my voice steady so that she knows I am being serious. She looks slightly offended. "Yes, I would feel the guilt and I would miss you everyday but there are things that we have to do that we really do not want to do; for the greater good"

"You're right" Luna mutters. "And this is why you will be the next commander and not me because I can't swallow my feeling like you can"

"Love is weakness and if I choose to care about anything but our people then that will get me killed"

"You care Costia, You care about Clarke" she says looking me in the eye. I open my mouth to protest but she doesn't give me the chance. "And deep down in that heart of yours you even care about me, so when I run you will let me"

"Of course ill let you, I don't want to kill you"

*

The Commander calls me to the thrown room. When I get there she is talking to Titus in front of her throne. She looks at me and then tells Titus to go away. He scurries off. "Tomorrow, I will be bringing the five leading sky children into my throne room to tell them that I will be attacking the sky people in a week"

"And why have you postponed your war?" I ask curiously. She ignores my question.

"The men on patrol have seen a flaw in the sky people's system, it's incredibly underdeveloped" she states. "So now we know where to attack then so that they can't hit us with their guns"

"I don't think this is the wisest idea, Heda but I am not going to question it"

"Tell me, how has the sky healer be doing?" Willa asks, she has a small smirk on her face. I so badly want to roll my eyes but I don't because I like having my head on my shoulders.

"She has been doing a good job, none of the night bloods injuries have turned fatal because she has always been there to help. She truly cares about people"

"Even you?"

"Probably not" I mutter. "She's only helping me because she is helping the others" I lie. The Commander doesn't believe me, she is up to something and I don't like it.

*
There is a knock on my door, I open it and Clarke is standing there shyly. "Hello Clarke"