Chapter Twenty-six

Five years later
Clarke's POV-
My eyes open, I look up at the grey ceiling and let out a deep breath. We are at war, the type of war that I don't wish to contribute to but I am. The Commander that I once knew has changed, she has ordered warriors to attack skaikru for taking so many 'trespassers', is what my mother would call them. We had it coming though. My mother would order guards to deliberately go out finding the closest grounder. I hear a knock on the door, and when Finn's head pops i can't help but let a smile fall on my face. "Good morning princess" he says with a grin. I roll my eyes and get up. He chuckles and walks in with a bowl of freshly cut up fruit. "Bought you breakfast" he says. I peck him on the lips and thank him.

"Any news?" I ask. Finn sits on the couch chair that is attached to the wall.

"There has been no more attacks, that's what I know of " Finn simply says. I nod as I eat my food. "They don't tell me much, Clarke. You're the important one"

"I am only the daughter of the chancellor" I say simply.

"Your more than that, the fact that you are Abbey's daughter isn't why you are important. You have moved up the ranks quickly in the last year"

"It's been a working progress" I say with a shrug. "You see, I have hopes of being chancellor and maybe stopping this war with the grounders"

"This isn't about Lexa is it?" He asks, jealousy laces his face. I don't feel the way I did about Lexa anymore, I'm in love with Finn and he knows that but sometimes the conversation goes back to her.

"No. Why do you always ask about Lexa and not about Wells?" I ask. Yes I dated Wells, it was a few months after Lexa left on her horse. It only lasted a few weeks as I told him that I didn't feel like I was ever going to feel more than friendship towards him.

"You dated Wells for three weeks, that doesn't count"

"So what? I dated, actually I don't know what to call it but what ever it was with Lexa it was barely three weeks. I knew her for a month" I say.

"Yes, but you didn't break up with her you were forced apart. What would it be like if that never happened?" He asks me. I don't think about it, I just tell him what he wants to hear.

"I would have still found you Finn. We've been together for a year and a half. I even lost my best friend for a while because of it. That's how much I love you" I tell him. I do love him, that's the truth. He makes me young, when I'm at those leader meetings I feel like i am thirty years old but Finn always comes around a makes me feel like I am a child. When I am finished eating I stand up and get changed in front of him. He stands up and places his hands on my waist as I am about to put a shirt on. He kisses me and I find myself being backed against a wall. He pulls away and smiles. His body is pressed against mine, he leans in and whispers in my ear.

"Remember to stay young my beautiful girlfriend." He says before kissing my nose. I bite my lip and kiss him but I know this can't go very far seeing as I have a meeting soon.

*
Lexa's POV-
"Heda, do you wish for us to attack again?" One of my trusted warriors ask me. I take the knife I am twirling in my hand and stab it into the arm rest of my thrown.

"No, only attack if they attack first" I order.

"Yes, Commander" he bows his head before leaving. Anya who is standing by me looks at me concerned.

"What is it Anya?" I ask harshly.

"I know you are Commander Lexa but I still won't let you talk to me like that." Anya says with a smile. Lexa holds back a smile and replaces it with an eye roll. "I have told you that you should withdraw the attacks and create a peace treaty"

"That will never work, Abbey Griffin will never let me leave alive" I say. I can't believe that a woman with so much hatred could be Clarke's mother. Clarke her name enters my mind but I force it back. I haven't thought much of her in a long time. Not since before Costia's death. Costia a memory enters my mind of me opening a box and seeing Costia's head inside.

Flashback
6 months ago

I wake up and she isn't there next to me. I finally realise that the reason I had woken up was a sound of struggling breaths, I look towards the door and she is being dragged out. I take a knife from my bedside table and attempt to attack the kidnapper but I feel something hard hit me in the head and everything goes black.

*

When I wake up I am on my bed and  Luna is sitting next to me. "Luna, Costia has been taken" I say frantically. Luna has a saddened look on her face.

"I know" she says softly.

"We have to get her back" I say. Luna sighs softly and shakes her head.

"We have" Luna mutters sadly. "Just not alive" she points to a wooden box that sits on the ground. "You have been out for three days, they must have drugged you. This box arrived this morning"

When I peer inside, I break down instantly. I struggle to breath because once again, someone I care about has been ripped away from me.

End of Flashback

"Yes she will, you just need to go about it the right way" Anya suggests. I shake my head. "That's not what you are scared of, is it?" Anya asks. I look at her confused.

"I am not scared of anything. I am the Commander of the twelve clans" I say. Anya laughs at this and I look at her annoyed.

"Okay Lexa" she says. When she stops laughing her face gets serious. "You're scared of seeing Clarke"

"Who's Clarke?" I ask. But of course I remember Clarke, she's the reason why I am Commander.

"Don't act stupid"

"It's not Clarke"

"Don't lie Lexa, you're scared to see that Clarke has moved on. You know she has and you've seen it for yourself" Anya says with a smirk.

"What are you talking about? I haven't seen Clarke for five years" I snap at her. I am lying though. Every once in a while I would sit in a high tree near the skaikru village and I would see Clarke with that boy. Finn I think his name is.

"You mean Clarke hasn't seen you for five years" Anya says.

"Sometimes I wonder what she is up to" I say defensively. "And I was with Costia, it's not like I hadn't moved on. I was watching the skaikru village for political reasons"

"Stop lying to yourself, go to the skaikru village and ask for peace and then this stupid war will be over"