melancholia

"I'm gonna make this real fucking simple." Negan stood, leaning against a wall, staring at the piece of scum that caused the one thing that really mattered to him to fall into a coma.

It had been weeks. Weeks.

The doctor kept her in the hospital, which was really a room with mattresses on the floor.

The doc said she was getting weaker instead of better. That he did what he could but the knife struck a major artery and he could only do so much. Negan checked on her over 5 times a day. He did his work next to her and his image of being a hardass was also weakening, just like her.

He talked to her. Told her things he was hoping would help her wake.

The asshole tied to the chair smiled and rolled his head back, letting out a laugh. Negan's jaw ticked and he stared at the man.

"I'm just going to tell you right now that your ass is grass. Count your fucking blessings you prick, because after I'm done with you, you'll need them." Negan turned to Dwight, who stood in the corner and held out a hand to be given Lucille.

"You think you scare me? I've been waiting for death since I was born in this hellhole."

Negan smiled this time before he responded. "Well call me the grim fucking reaper because I'm here to answer those prayers."

Your eyes opened so slowly, it felt like 10 bowling balls were laying on them. You looked to your left and saw Negan sitting against the wall, head lolled to the side in a deep sleep. You smiled and then winced, feeling your cracked lips split. You groaned in pain, feeling like your side had been sliced open. You moved to sit up and you heard the mattress creak. You cringed and turned to look back at Negan to see if it woke him.

He was staring at you in shock and surprise. His eyes lit up when they connected with yours and an emotion you've never seen him show before crossed his face.

"You're awake." His voice was lighter than a feather and he leaned over close to you, inspecting your face and eyes.

"Opposed to being asleep? It hasn't been that long Negan, only a day." You said with a chuckle and his face fell.

"A day? You haven't woken up in almost a month." It was your turn to look shocked.

"A month?! Are you serious?" You sat back on the wall and looked straight ahead, zoning out in thought. Negan turned your head toward him and you felt the soft press of his lips. This startled you and you pulled back, studying his face. He showed a vulnerability that you'd never seen and suddenly you realized that he had been afraid to lose you.

"You were getting weaker. The doctor said you most likely wouldn't wake up and to expect you would pass within the next few days." You heard the pain in his voice and leaned back in to kiss him again. He looked into your eyes as you parted and stared at you intensely.

"Stay with me tonight. In my bed. I want to hold you." You found yourself nodding at his words and then you pulled back.

"I'm not having sex with you yet. I just woke up and feel like shit." He chuckled and nodded.

"Fine by me, I just wanted to sleep anyway." Negan gave you a knowing smirk and it made you blush that you jumped to conclusions.

The doctor chose that moment to walk in and so did Amber and Sherry. Negan scowled at them both. This surprised you and you looked back and forth between them, wondering what had changed in the month you'd been asleep. That also brought up a thought about the sniper and what happened to him.

Negan took your hand in his and helped you up. When you were both standing and he could easily drop your hand, he didn't and held on to you, shocking you even further.

Amber fixated you with a glare and Sherry remained expressionless. Amber had a gleam in her eye that made you uneasy.

"Can I get those prenatal vitamins, doctor?" Amber said and you started at her words, looking up at Negan whose jaw had clenched. Amber noticed your gaze and spoke again.

"Oh, they're not for me," she paused and with a smirk looked between Sherry and Negan, "they're for Sherry."

You dropped Negan's hand like it was on fire. You suddenly remembered your place and where you stood with Negan. You weren't one of his wives. You were nothing to him.

The doctor handed the vitamins to Sherry and ushered them out. Negan looked at you with a pleading look.

"So I've been comatose and you've been out fucking anything with a vagina. I see exactly what I mean to you then." Negan's eyes blazed at your words and he opened his mouth to protest, but you cut him off.

"Please leave. I'm stressing out and it's giving me a headache. I think it would be best."

Negan looked at the doctor and he nodded.

He left without another word.

You looked at the floor in silence while the doctor checked you. You finally took in his appearance and saw how unexpectedly attractive he was. He seemed to notice your staring and smiled.

"I guess we've never officially met, I'm Byron." You liked that name. It was...different.

"Nice to meet you. I'm sure you know who I am by now." You said, no emotion in your voice but he ignored it and smiled at you again. He nodded. A long pause followed.

"Is it Negan's?" You whispered the question, in fear the answer was what you thought.

Byron's face tightened and his lips pressed in a thin line.

"Yes."

Byron paused and then spoke again.

"He told me himself."

Do you believe it??

I don't. There's no way Negan would do that...right?