Chapter 6-Tea at Moonacre Manor

"You've invited yourself to Tea at the manor?" Robin asked me with his brows raised in amusement.

"No. I've invited us to Tea at the manor." I corrected, standing my ground against Robin's rather obvious disapproval in my rather improper etiquette.

Robin laughed and shook his head as he leant down to lace his heavy black boots, "And you were the one who was raised by a Governess, a snobbish prude of one at that? Yet I am the one who finds your lack of etiquette...unbecoming?"

"I am shocked to be receiving a lecture in etiquette from likes of you, Robin De Noir!" I retort with a huff.

"Oh? And why is that, Maria De Noir?"

"You, who thinks with his dagger first? Blood before justice? Drunkenness over sobriety? Should mock my simple yet harmless lack of propriety in reference to afternoon Tea?" I craned my neck to look up at his towering frame as he rose to his feet.

"Ah, there...you just admitted that your etiquette was indeed lacking." Robin smirked triumphantly and encircled me in his strong arms. I pushed away from him before I became caught up in his embrace submissively.

"Enough with the games. I am trying to be serious, Robin." I scolded him but grinned widely at the playful gleam in his eye and closed the gap between us so I could kiss him. Pressing my lips against his softly and then pulling away just to be sure he would bring me back to him.

He smiled against my lips and touched the tip of his tongue against mine, arms sliding around the small of my back and pulling me closer to him. He kissed me playfully, pulling away to smirk at me and then pressing his lips against mine more forcefully. He tried to press against me tightly but chuckled softly when we were prohibited by the bulge about my middle. He pulled back, letting his hands slide over my rounded belly before leaning down and placing a kiss over my dress just below my navel.

"So..Tea at Moonacre Manor? When?"

"This afternoon. Will you please do me the honour of accompanying me?"

"Of course."

"Then it is settled. I am so very excited to visit my family again."

"What shall we do about this?" Robin asked, gesturing toward the swell of my middle. I wasn't very big. Slight, but still not inconspicuously so. Still I was becoming on a more questionable verge.

"Perhaps we shall tell them I am carrying twins?" I replied mockingly. "I will remain cloaked, of course." I added quickly at the look of doubt on his face. "And that is why I added you to the guest list. Well mostly, because I felt you could act as a deterrent, if you will."

"Deterrent?"

"A distraction, a shield so to speak. You know, pull the attention from me should things become...uncomfortable, questionable. As well, I feel there would be less physical contact should I be in your arms, at your side...Does that make sense?"

"I see, yes. Perhaps...we should just say you are carrying twins." Robin groaned, falling back against the bed and thrusting his hands into his mop of loose curls, "I not only fear what Sir Benjamin would do to me if he only knew the truth, but Wrolf as well!"

I laughed but put on a serious face when Robin scowled at me. I couldn't keep my mouth from turning up into a grin as soon as he looked away. I sat beside him on the bed and stroked my hand over his chest.

"Nervous to be bring your more-than-should-be pregnant wife before her family, are you?"

"Terrified, really." Robin replied mockingly, peeking up a me through his hands and smiling, "I am quite surprised to see you so demure about it."