Chapter 8-The Wounded

I had awoken with a start as the memories of last night flooded over me and I quickly remembered the attack. Robin hadn't yet returned and I failed miserably in my attempt at not letting my fears overtake me.

I sat up and gazed about the room in thought before throwing the covers off of me and placing my feet onto the cold floor. I took a deep breath in efforts to keep my wits about me.

I made my way over to the windows and thrust open the drapes allowing the blaring light to flow over me and brighten the room. After my eyes adjusted I peered out into the gardens, my eyes falling to a light dusting of freshly fallen snow as far as I could see of the vast De Noir lands. I pulled on the threaded cord hidden in the corner and waited for Corrine to appear at my prompting.

After a short while my thoughts were interrupted by a rapping at the door and I immediately let my maid in.

"Corrine, are you privy to any news on the attack?"

"No, my Lady. And you mustn't worry yourself so. Would you like to dress now or might you prefer tea?"

I didn't answer. Couldn't. I paced back and forth before the window and chewed on my lip anxiously.

"I shall bring the tea then my Lady, 'twill calm your nerves."

Corrine returned to find me leant over bracing myself against Robin's desk in pain, gripping my stomach with my other hand and groaning. As soon as she appeared I attempted to straighten up and insist that I was all right. But the pain grew in intensity, the muscles tightening up from around my back and pressing down below my navel. I felt the urge to part my legs by the prompting of the pressure and a single tear slid down from the corner of my eye.

"My Lady!" Corrine gasped, thrusting the tray she held aside onto the small table in the seating area and rushing to my side.

"I'm fine!" I insisted stubbornly trying to shrug her off but she held her ground and coaxed me into an armchair beside the fire.

"I will hear none of it, young Lady," She scolded me, leaving out formalities, "I have enough knowledge of my own to say you are not fine. Now sit, rest and have some tea."

She thrust a small delicate saucer and teacup into my hands and immediately poured hot steaming liquid from the matching pot and stood before me with her hands on her hips until I complied.

"How can I sit here, with my feet up enjoying a cuppa whilst Robin is...out there?" I waved my hand in the direction of the door, not knowing exactly where 'there' even was, "He could be hurt, seriously injured...or....or."

I sobbed. Unable to finish my sentence and grimaced at the painful shifting of the baby within my womb. I placed my hand over my abdomen, caressing it as if trying to calm it's movements.

"Master Robin understands that you are in a fragile state, my Lady and holds you and his unborn child's safety as his utmost concern. It is your duty to produce an heir. You are doing your job and he is doing his. Nothing more, nothing less. Are you willing to put your unborn child's life in danger by your incessant worrying and stress and over-exertion of yourself?"

"Of course not." I replied crossly. "But I can not keep myself from worrying..."

"Maria, I believe you are having a difficult pregnancy," Corrine began, lowering her tone and slowly sinking into the chair on my left. Her informal use of my name alluded to the serious nature of her conversation. She placed a hand over my knee, "More so than you let on, to yourself even. I can assure you, my Lady that honesty is always best."

And with that she turned and left.

A difficult pregnancy? I thought to myself, staring into the golden, floral scented liquid in my teacup. I'm perfectly alright. Just finding it overwhelming to handle all the different and serious stresses in my life at the moment. I scoffed stubbornly.