Chapter 7-Biscuits and War

"You spoil me, Robin."

I said, biting my lip as my mouth spread into a wide grin. Robin had appeared in my private chambers late into the evening with a small plate of iced biscuits. My favourite and most definitely one of my most desired cravings.

"Nicked 'em from the kitchens on my way in." He shrugged trying to brush off his sweet gesture but the twinkle in his eyes alluded to his deep, profound care for me. I hadn't seen him since early this morning as I had watched him as he dressed and slipped quietly from our bedchambers to attend to his duties.

He plopped down at the edge of my bed facing me and set the small plate beside me. I leant over and placed a kiss upon his cheek whilst simultaneously snatching a biscuit and giving a laugh. I sat back against the headboard and closed the book in my lap. We locked eyes for a moment and shared a smile.

"I missed you."

Robin reached out and placed his warm hand over my rounded, firm belly, "I missed you as well." He smiled, tilting his head to the side and letting his hair fall into his eyes which were darkened with coal. He moved closer and placed his other hand on my belly, pressing slightly in attempt to cause the baby to move.

I smiled as I watched him and happily munched away on yet another biscuit. I could feel the strong movements as the baby shifted about inside me at Robin's prodding, "Felt that!" Robin exclaimed joyfully at the feel of a kick against his hand. I giggled and leant forward surprising him with a kiss upon his lips whilst he waited to feel another kick.

"Any of those pains today?"

I looked away and stared into the orange and yellow flickering glow of the fire. Since my sixth month I have been suffering from a painful tightening in my womb. One that would stop me in my tracks and steal the breath from my lungs. I hadn't told anyone about it until it happened in Robin's presence one day. I didn't much fancy being fussed over.

"Maria..." Robin scolded, "You are too stubborn for your own good, you know."

I have begun to make a rather bad habit in my belief that, should I ignore a problem, it will simply disappear. Will I never learn my lesson?

"Ignoring a problem does not prevent it from existing, Maria."

I flinched as he read me correctly. Although mostly because he spoke to the darkest part of what I have been hiding, ignoring, forbidden to be spoken upon my lips. My concerns and fears of his cousin.

Catcher. Tell him of Catcher and his threats...A nagging voice urged in my mind.

"You are right, Robin. Forgive my stubbornness, I needn't give you cause for concern so I felt I'd keep my problems to myself."

"But Maria I care for you and I care for our unborn child. Your problems are no burden to me at all. Especially if you are hurting." Robin scooted up closer to me. He smelled of the forest and I relished in his scent. He caressed my face with the back of his hand and I became lost in his golden brown eyes. A guilt washed over me. Guilt for keeping secrets from my love.

"We shall see what the midwife has to say on the matter. Now," Robin paused looking around my private bedchambers, "What ever are you doing in here? I know I have given you permission to my chambers at all times. In fact, I expressly consider it as our chambers."

"I don't know really. I suppose I still feel I am intruding..." I shrugged not having a definitive answer. I could say that I do fancy this room, it's decor and femininity and that it does contain my personal belongings, but I leave it at that, not delving any deeper into the subject.