Chapter 20-Beneath the Stars

It was day the of my uncle and Loveday's wedding. I hadn't been granted permission to leave the grounds since the day Robin had escorted me home and I had received quite the reprimand from my new family.

It was rather embarrassing being scolded as a child so I was particularly grateful that uncle hadn't done so in front of Robin. It always did me well to find the positive in things.

Robin hadn't come to beckon me from my window as he had before nor I had heard from Catcher. I spent my days pondering over Honour and her sister and wanted dearly to learn of her safe return. I also spent my time pondering over Catcher and that odd yet intriguing night on the shore of the lake. Never before have I participated in such rebellion. If only uncle and Miss Heliotrope knew the whole truth of that day...

Robin had assumed correctly. My family had only believed that I had left sometime early that morning and had merely been out for the better part of a day and not all night as well. It was also in my favour that Uncle and Loveday were particularly consumed with the wedding and coincidently uncle had been quite lenient with me.

I was rather excited for tonight. Many of the De Noirs and the clan were to attend the wedding and I was finally to see Robin again. I hoped I'd the opportunity to dance with him. I giggled to myself as I was sat in my room upon my bed, I couldn't picture the likes of Robin De Noir dancing. But Catcher I could. Catcher seemed the type to have attended his lessons for he moved just as gracefully as in dance when he merely walked.

I skipped down the corridor much like a school girl as I made my way down to the parlour. I could smell the beautiful, fresh floral bouquets that decorated the manor and I stopped to admire them. The guests were beginning to arrive and the manor was abuzz with activity and excitement.

I followed the sound of pleasant chatter into the piano room and was immediately greeted by a server with a glass of champagne. I took it graciously and sipped at the delicate crystal flute. The sun was just beginning to set and a warm ambient glow softened the sky.

More guests arrived and I was pushed to the back of the room as they flowed into the crowded space. I stood atop my toes searching over the people for someone I recognised-Robin in particular was who I really wanted to see.

"Looking for someone?"

I heard a deep voice inquire bemusedly from behind me. I turned around to find Catcher stood tall and clad in a neatly tailoured, black waistcoat, trousers and shiny black loafers. He was clean shaven and his dark hair was parted on the side and combed neatly into place. I stifled a gasp.

He dipped his head and looked up at me through a fringe of dark lashes and the corner of his mouth pulled up into a dashing grin. "Catcher." Was all I managed to say. His smile widened.

"You look positively stunning this evening Lady Maria." Catcher said smoothly. He took my hand in his and placed a kiss over my knuckles. I felt myself blush. I could hear Digweed attempting to usher the crowd out and into the gardens for the ceremony and I was swept aside from the flow of people as they made their way out through the doors.

Catcher caught my hand and pulled me against him before I was trampled over, "Save a dance for me at the reception Maria?"

"I would like nothing more." I heard myself reply.

I was joined then by Miss Heliotrope and found a seat in the front on the groom's side. I searched the crowd as we had made our way to the front. And just before I sat I glanced over to where the bride's guests sat. And there I saw Robin with his arm linked with Honour's. His father stood beside him. I felt my heart sink. Why had he brought her? I thought Robin and I had something more between us for surely I had felt it. The way he had kissed me...Perhaps I am just a foolish and naive girl. Believing the first boy to have kissed me was in love with me and I him.