Diamondback

25 Harvestmere, 9:41

Antonia surveyed her quarters, making sure everything was in readiness. Trays of sandwiches, cookies, fruits, and vegetables. Her private cellar fully stocked with wine and ale. Table and chairs set up, diamondback cards prepared.

Since moving to Skyhold, company drinking night had become company diamondback night—the virtue of diamondback being that usually Dorian's skill at all games and Varric's expert cheating tended to cancel each other out, leaving some space for someone else to win every once in a while. Of course, it was usually the Iron Bull, so there was an argument to be made that things hadn't improved much for the rest of them.

They always held the game in Antonia's quarters because they were larger and more spacious than anyone else's, and far more private. Roya, the dwarf who was assigned to take care of Antonia's quarters—and Antonia herself, for that matter—tended to grumble about the mess that was made, but she had helped make the preparations with care.

"All right, my lady, I think everything's ready for those barbarians of yours," Roya said.

"Dorian wouldn't thank you for calling him that."

Roya sniffed. "Tevinter's a mere child compared to the dwarven kingdoms. My people have forgotten more than his ever knew."

It was a debate Dorian and Roya had had more than once, and neither one would concede the other's points. Antonia smiled. "I'll tell him you said so."

"Don't stay up too late, my lady. You have an early morning tomorrow."

"I know." They were off to the Western Approach in the morning. Antonia hadn't considered when she went to Cullen's office this morning how much she would hate having to leave the next day, having just discovered the magic of being in his arms. Thinking about those kisses, she closed her eyes, reliving the moment.

"And you had a long day, so I hear." Roya's dry voice was teasing.

Antonia's eyes flew open. "You heard about that?"

Roya chuckled. "Good night, my lady." Her footsteps down the stairs were replaced shortly by the Iron Bull's heavier footfalls coming up. He was arguing with Cassandra over the best way to sharpen a sword.

"I say, you hit things with it! Sharp things."

"You are a fool. Good evening, Inquisitor."

Vivienne was the next one up, with Dorian and Varric right behind her. Blackwall came occasionally now, but he had passed this evening. The ghosts that haunted him were too loud today, it seemed. Solas preferred to be alone, and Cole wasn't clear on the rules—not of diamondback, or of spending time with large groups of people. Sera always said she didn't like a game with such straightforward tactics. But Cassandra was cut-throat, taking on the game with the same intensity she displayed for all the other aspects of her life.

Everyone filled a plate of food and got something to drink, and then they ranged around the big round table. Varric deftly shuffled the cards.

"Why is he dealing first?" Cassandra protested. "He cheats."

"Hey, Seeker, I have to deal sometime."

"That's debatable."

"My dears, must we begin this squabbling so early in the evening? You will run out of insults." Vivienne sighed, taking a slow, appreciative sip of her wine.

"Don't be ridiculous. I have lists of insults—I memorize them at night before I go to bed." Varric dealt the cards, making comments with each one to get everyone laughing so they didn't pay attention to him dealing from the middle of the deck. To no one's surprise, he won the hand.