Children

4 Justinian, 9:42

Cullen carefully placed a piece and looked at the young boy who sat across from him. Kieran, Morrigan's son, was a player much like himself; he considered every move until he was certain it was the best choice. Their styles made it a slow-moving game, so there were no spectators. Kieran was a shy lad, anyway, and had made no friends in Skyhold as far as Cullen could tell. Not that there were many children, but there were a few. In Cullen's opinion, the boy would have been better off if he had had someone to play with, but Morrigan clearly preferred to keep him somewhat isolated. And hard at his books, as well.

Kieran moved a piece, his eyes seeking Cullen's as if in approval.

Smiling, Cullen nodded. "That's a good choice."

The boy didn't quite smile back, but there was a faintly pleased look on his face. He reminded Cullen of someone—probably Morrigan, Cullen imagined, but there was something else, a somewhat melancholy cast to the features, the point of his chin ... No doubt the nagging resemblance was happenstance and nothing else, but Cullen was reminded strongly of watching Thomas Amell play chess, long ago in the Tower.

"Did you and your mother live in Orlais for a long time?" he asked.

"I ... don't know how long. And Mother doesn't like me to answer questions."

That was no surprise. Morrigan played her cards close to her chest. "In that case, is there anything you would like to ask me?"

The question startled the boy. He paused with his piece in midair. "Really?"

"Of course. Ask me anything." An offer Cullen was devoutly hoping he wouldn't regret. For a moment, he imagined himself sitting across a chess table from his own child, teaching him how to play—or her, for that matter—and answering questions, and a glow filled him. To think he had imagined that all the possibilities of home and family, of love and marriage, were long behind him! And now there was Antonia—

"Does the Inquisitor mind that mark on her hand?" Kieran asked abruptly.

Cullen was only slightly surprised, having grown used to Cole and his uncanny ability to read minds and thoughts. He shook his head at the question. "I can't answer on the Inquisitor's behalf. Why don't you ask her sometime?"

"Mother says she is fighting a losing battle."

"Against Corypheus?"

"Against the mark."

Cullen frowned at the board, moving a piece in a calculated risk. "Do you understand what she means? Your mother, that is."

"No." Kieran gave him a shy smile. "I don't, always. Less since she came back from the Arbor Wilds."

Given what Cullen had heard of the events in the Temple of Mythal, he could certainly understand that. Momentarily forgetful of the stricture against questions, he asked, "Do you know what you and your mother will do once Corypheus has been defeated?"

Kieran shook his head. He moved a piece, falling into the trap Cullen had set for him. "I think Mother isn't sure. I wish ... I wish we could have a home. The palace was nice, and I like Skyhold." He looked eagerly up at Cullen, anxious not to give offense. "But I want to live somewhere that's just ours."

"Yes. I understand that." Cullen hadn't thought much about that part of the future; he assumed he and Antonia would stay with the Inquisition indefinitely. But someday he, too, would like a home of their own. Maybe once children started arriving, they could settle down somewhere. He took Kieran's piece, putting the boy's king in check.

Kieran moved his king hastily, the surprise of not having anticipated the move throwing him off.

"Are you certain that's the move you want?" Cullen asked.

The boy was by no means certain, that was evident, but he answered with an affronted, "Of course it is."

"All right." Cullen wouldn't insult him further by treating him like a child. If we wanted to stand behind his mistakes—well, that was an important lesson, too. In silence, they each moved again, and then Cullen placed the final piece of the trap. "Check-mate."

Kieran nodded slowly. "I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry; you made a mistake and fell for a trap. That's part of the game. Next time, you'll know to expect it."

"Yes." Kieran looked at him thoughtfully for a moment. "Thank you, Commander."

"My pleasure."

The boy left the table, returning to his mother's quarters off the garden. Cullen busied himself putting the pieces back, musing on the strange child. Any child raised by Morrigan would have to be a little odd, he imagined, but he did hope at some point she allowed Kieran the freedom to mingle with the rest of the world a bit more.

"Did you win?"

He looked up to see Antonia leaning against a pillar of the pavilion. "Yes. I feel badly about it."

She smiled. "I imagine you do. But it's better that you play your best against him. I don't get the impression he would like it if he thought you were treating him as anything less than an intellectual equal."

"Definitely not. I tried to let him take back a move, and he was most offended."

"It's lovely of you to do this for him."

"I enjoy it." He looked up at her. It was on the tip of his tongue to mention their own children, but he knew with Corypheus looming out there, ever closer, she didn't want to inhabit the future. The present was hard enough for her. He stood up abruptly. "Do you have some time?"

"For you? Always."

"Good. Come with me."

"What are we doing?" Antonia followed him, her brown eyes bright with curiosity.

"Something I've wanted to do for a long time."

She grinned. "Too many people in the keep for sex on the throne."

Cullen whirled around to look at her. "Inquisitor!"

Antonia's grin widened. "Commander."

He coughed slightly, trying to draw his attention away from that most intriguing, and absolutely never going to happen, idea. "Do try to behave yourself."

"I'm sorry. What do you have in mind that is so much more in keeping with the dignity of the leadership of the Inquisition?"

Cullen held her gaze seriously. "We are going to prank Sera back."