Another Fereldan Stranded

26 Solace, 9:44

When Antonia and Josephine went off to attend the opening of the Exalted Council, Cullen was left largely to his own devices. Cassandra as Divine and Dorian as Tevinter ambassador and Varric as representative of Kirkwall were all also part of the Council, as was Vivienne, representing the College of Magi; even Phoenix was stretched out next to the door, waiting patiently for his mistress to emerge from inside. The Iron Bull was meeting up with the Chargers, giving them their assignments. And Cullen had little interest in spending time with Sera or Cole.

He supposed he could be sitting in on the Council also, but he knew perfectly well that he would spend all the time either bored or angry, neither of which would be helpful. He wasn't of much more help strolling the grounds of Halamshiral, but at least he could keep his eyes open and try to prevent surprises from jumping out of the woodwork when least expected.

"Commander. What a surprise running into you here."

Startled, he looked at the woman who had suddenly appeared next to him. She tipped her hood back just far enough that he could see the familiar red hair and blue eyes. "Leli—"

He broke off when she raised a finger to her lips. "Please. No names. The Left Hand of the Divine has retired; it would do no one any good were she to be known to be in attendance."

"Why are you?" he asked.

"Do you think I could stay away when forces are threatening to tear the Inquisition into pieces? I had as much to do with forming it as anyone else; I won't stand by and let it happen without giving what assistance I can."

Cullen nodded. "Of course. I'm glad to see you here."

"Walk with me, will you?"

She looked around them at the opulent surroundings as they strolled. "I was eighteen when I first came to the Winter Palace, and I was dazzled by it all. It's all still as bright as it was then, but I no longer see the same things in the rich hangings and the golden lions."

"What do you see now?"

"It seems so cold. Compared to the simple surroundings where I live now, and the love that fills every moment ... Those who caused the Winter Palace to be built cared only what it looked like, not what the troubles of those who put in place all this marble might be, or what else of substance might have been built with all this expense." She sighed. "It is easier on the heart just to see the gilding in a place you have loved as I once loved the Winter Palace ... but easier still to go home to where there is no gilding."

"How is Thomas?"

"He is well. He sends his regards to you and to our dear Inquisitor. How is she? And your lovely son?"

"Both well." He hesitated, wanting to confide his concerns about the pregnancy, but something held the words back.

"Very wise. Even to a friend, it is best to avoid letting the Inquisitor seem vulnerable."

"You, too?" Did everyone know these things before he did?

"I can guess, from your pause and the trouble in your face, but it would be a guess only." She looked around them, then, more quietly, said, "You feel it, too, no? Fear. That is where all of this comes from."

"I suppose I would fear anyone with our vault of secrets and our forces."

Leliana shook her hooded head. "It is not our secrets, nor our soldiers. There have always been spymasters and private armies. They are afraid of nothing so much as the hand that directs it all."

Cold fear gripped his heart. "Antonia."

"Precisely. Already her actions have begun to reshape Thedas; her influence is felt everywhere." She shook her head. "I am only surprised it took them this long to move against her, and that they chose to do so this straightforwardly."

"You mean, you thought there would be an assassination."

"It was a possibility; the Iron Bull and I discussed it in depth before I left. But I confess, I thought they would try to discredit her rather than take the chance of making her a martyr."

With some pride, Cullen said, "She has nothing to hide."

"A rarity amongst individuals, indeed." Leliana gave him an indulgent smile. "As it happens, that must have been the conclusion of her enemies, as well, since here we are. And, indeed, here we are." They were stopped in front of a small shop. Leliana turned to look at him. "Before we go meet the ... individual I wanted you to meet, let me say this to you: The Inquisition's time is coming to an end. It set out to restore peace, and peace is upon us. It is up to the Rutherfords to determine how the Inquisition will face that peace."

"Up to Antonia, you mean."

"You think you have no influence on how she decides? You underestimate yourself, as always. Now ... inside here, you will find another Fereldan stranded in the Winter Palace. I think he might be useful to you."

"Will I see you again?"

"I will be here as long as the Inquisition needs me. And, Cullen, whatever you decide, I will be honored to stand beside you."

She melted back into a nearby doorway, ducking through and disappearing, leaving Cullen with a feeling of disquiet.

He went into the shop. The shopkeeper looked over his spectacles at him. "You'd be the Commander of the Inquisition, then? I was told you'd be coming by. Come for the dog?"

"Dog?"

"Indeed, messere. One of those ..." he hesitated, and Cullen supplied "Mabari?" The shopkeeper nodded. "That's the word. He was left here by a noble, must have gotten bored with the beast. Wasn't sure what I would do with 'im, but the redhead said—"

"Of course. May I speak to him?"

"To—? Oh, to the dog. I don't see why not."

Cullen wasn't sure what they needed with another mabari; Phoenix and Lucky were a lot already. But then he thought of Vel, left behind at Skyhold, and the new life on the way. His child, he thought, the fear easing just long enough for him to think of the shadowy presence of another baby, one he hadn't met yet. Perhaps a third mabari, one for the children, was required.

The dog was brought in, moving unresistingly but with little interest on the leash. He stopped and looked up at Cullen curiously.

"Ser," Cullen said gravely, bowing. "Cullen Rutherford, Commander of the Inquisition." He liked the look of the animal. Dark grey with some markings of white, and clearly quite intelligent. Maybe two years old, maybe a little older? "Perhaps you would be interested in listening to my proposition."

The dog gave a faint yip.

"All right, then. I have ... a small son who could use a companion. How do you feel about children?"

A happier yip this time, a measuring expression in the dog's brown eyes.

"Would you consider coming on as the boy's companion, and that of any others who might come along?"

Deftly, the dog slipped his head out of the leash and came to Cullen's side.

The shopkeeper had been staring at the whole conversation as if trying to decide who in this room was completely crazy. "So, you're taking him, then?"

Cullen nodded. "What do I owe you for his care and upkeep?"

"Oh, nothing at all. My needs have been settled."

Leliana. Cullen smiled. He wondered briefly if Thomas's Irving was still around, and if so, how the old dog was doing. "In that case, I bid you good day, ser."

"And you, messere."

It felt better to be walking the paths of Halamshiral with company. This new lad would need a name, but Cullen felt strange about choosing one for him without Antonia's approval, since Vel was too young to name the animal himself.

"Let me tell you about my son, who will be your charge," he said to the dog, who cocked his head to the side, listening intently.