What You Want to Do

19 Justinian, 9:42

The banquet had been going on for hours—the whole keep was celebrating. People were trickling in from the outlying holdings, and there were messages from nobles all over Thedas wanting to know what was going on.

Leliana and Josephine had been busy responding to all the messages; it hadn't been much of a celebration for them until the banquet had begun. But now they were both flushed and rosy with the wine they had consumed, singing softly together at the end of a table.

Antonia had made the rounds, stopping only for a few bites to eat when Cullen forced her, wanting to check in with all her people. They had defeated Corypheus, but the Inquisition's work wasn't done yet. When would it be done? She wasn't sure. She didn't really know what the Inquisition would do now that there was no one left to fight. There was quite a bit of clean-up left, though, resolving any remaining rifts left open and taking care of demons—enough to keep them going for a while.

She and Cullen would have to decide how that factored into their plans for marriage and a family. In the meantime, she needed to know how many of her people were leaving. Sera had already drunkenly begged not to be sent away, and Antonia had assured her she wouldn't be. Cole was staying, as well—where else he would go if he didn't stay with the Inquisition, Antonia couldn't imagine. She was glad to be able to protect him a while longer. Vivienne would return to Val Royeaux, where no doubt she would be happier.

Antonia found Blackwall in a corner, watching contentedly. "Will you be leaving to join the Wardens, then?"

"Yes, as agreed. It's time," he said. "Past time, really. And I'll be able to say I helped take down an ancient darkspawn—should help my transition to the Wardens go smoothly."

"It does seem as though that would look good on a Grey Warden resume. What of Josephine?"

Blackwall smiled. "A lovely lady, and worth much more than I can offer any woman. No, I'm afraid yours is the great love story of the Inquisition—as it should be. You two take care of each other. You both need someone to look after you. And if you ever have need of my blade, you know where to find me."

"Thank you, Blackwall. We couldn't have done it without you."

He nodded, although she could see he didn't believe her.

When she spoke to Josephine, the ambassador seeemed cheerful about the prospects for the future, even if the banquet wasn't quite up to her exacting standards. Few gatherings were, however, and Antonia made sure to tell her friend and colleague how lucky the Inquisition was to have her.

Cassandra had imbibed rather freely, and she was fulsome—for her—in her praise of Antonia's actions. It was almost embarrassing, and would no doubt be highly so for Cassandra if she remembered any of it in the morning. No doubt the chances to fully cut loose would be much fewer once Cassandra ascended to the position of Divine. Antonia would miss her, but she had faith in Cassandra's ability to make the Chantry behave.

Leliana had receded into a corner, as if she was departing from them already. Antonia caught her there. "Leaving so soon?"

"No, merely finding a vantage point to take it all in. I will miss this."

"Thomas is waiting for you?"

"Yes." Leliana smiled, a more genuine, softer smile than any Antonia had ever seen on her face. "It has been too long since we were able to be together freely, but I think we both agree now that it is better to spend our time together searching for a cure for the Calling than to waste any more of our lives apart."

"Running away for love—it sounds idyllic." Antonia sighed.

"I can see how it might." Leliana laughed. "But your place is here, in the Inquisition we have built. I am sad to leave it."

"We're sad to see you go. Thank you, Leliana." Antonia hugged her friend one last time; she had the sense that Leliana would be gone in the morning, and no idea how long it would be before they saw each other again. If ever. She wished Leliana—and Thomas, too—all the happiness they so richly deserved.

Antonia found Varric holding court at the head of a table. He got up and left his adoring public when she came past, though, and they walked together. "I was thinking of making the story of the Inquisition my next book," he said.

"Must you?"

Varric laughed. "You'd come out very well, I promise."

"I'm sure that's what you said to Hawke, too." She glanced down at her friend. "You're going back to Kirkwall, aren't you?"

"Yes. I'm going to try to convince Hawke and Fenris to come out of exile and come home, too. Kirkwall needs as many people working to try to put it back together as possible."

"That sounds nice for you." She tried to keep the sadness out of her voice; Varric had been her first friend in the Inquisition, and she would miss him very much.

"Oh, don't get like that. I'm not leaving for a while yet. Should be time for some more Wicked Grace before I go, so Curly can get his dignity back. And the two of you can come visit Kirkwall on a state visit. Or on your way to Ostwick." He grinned.

"That'll be the day."

"Aw, give 'em a chance. They'll figure out what a gem the family tree produced."

"Thanks, Varric."

"Anytime ... Antonia."

She smiled at the use of her name, because it was better than crying.

At the end of the night, she found herself on her balcony with Cullen, Dorian, and the Iron Bull, toasting with champagne.

"To us being alive, and the bad guys not!" the Iron Bull said.

"Hear, hear!"

"To my boys, for keeping me alive," Antonia said.

"I'll drink to that." Cullen put his arm around her, hugging her close.

"It was close a time or two."

"Now that it's done, are you still planning to go back to Tevinter and tell them the elf story?" Antonia asked Dorian.

The Iron Bull watched his lover closely. Dorian sighed. "I had thought about it, but ... who would believe me?"

"Good," Antonia said, "because I have a job offer for the Iron Bull."

"You do?" The Qunari raised his eyebrows, realizing where she was going with this. "You want me to take over for Red?"

"Can you think of a better Inquisition spymaster?"

The Iron Bull turned to Cullen. "And you agreed to this?"

He smiled. "It was my suggestion."

"You know you want the job," Dorian said. "You told me as much last month."

"That's true, I did ... I just didn't know I was going to have it offered to me on a platter."

"Eat your heart out, Ben-Hassrath," Antonia said. "Their loss is our gain. Come on, Bull, say you'll take it."

"Oh, of course I'll take it. Just ... might take some getting used to."

"Well, there's plenty of time."

They drank again, finishing off the bottle. Then Dorian and the Iron Bull took their personal celebration off elsewhere, leaving Antonia and Cullen on the balcony, looking up at the stars.

"I used to watch those stars from the battlements," Cullen said softly, putting his arms around her. Antonia rested her head against his shoulder contentedly. "They were my sanity—always the same, never changing, no matter what. Now ... perhaps I see the magic in them again."

Antonia turned her head to kiss him. "I don't think I ever asked you what you want to do now."

"Stay with you; finish the tasks of the Inquisition, however long that takes. Get married, at long last."

"I like the sound of that."