To Storm the Fortress

24 Firstfall, 9:41

The air was filled with noise—shouts and screams of men, the crashing of fireballs, the creaking of trebuchets, the breaking and falling of the stone of Adamant Fortress. Antonia didn't like the chaos; she was used to being able to center herself a little before a fight. An advantage to moving in smaller groups. But this was full-on combat, which wasn't at all her forte.

Cullen, on the other hand, was in his element. He was all over the siege field, fixing an issue with a trebuchet, bellowing orders to his subordinates, getting a constant stream of messages in from other parts of the battlefield and sending his responses back. He seemed to have the entire battle planned out in his mind; it was no wonder he was so good at chess.

Antonia checked on her companions. Dorian was talking Blackwall's ear off—she liked to take them together in tense situations because the mage needed to get his nervous chatter out before a big fight and Blackwall would just stand there stolidly and block him out, lost in his dark thoughts. Varric was polishing Bianca. Not that she needed it, but caring for her kept his mind off his own welfare.

Vivienne and Solas were out there with the mages somewhere; the Iron Bull and Krem and the Chargers were with the siege forces, ready to assault the walls. Sera and the strange spirit, Cole, were being used as messengers today—their skills weren't really tailored to a frontal assault. Cassandra was assisting Cullen, acting as his lieutenant among the soldiers preparing to assail the walls.

Antonia didn't want to think about everything there was to lose today. If she thought that way, she couldn't do it. Besides, if they lost, it was more than just the beloved companions who were among these forces who would suffer. They would take the brunt, but the rest of Thedas would feel the impact.

It was what was on her shoulders every day, that she and a small group of people stood between Thedas and disaster, but the noise and confusion brought it home to her with startling clarity.

"Inquisitor." She looked up to see Blackwall watching her. "Give each minute what it can bear; if you give it the weight of an age, you won't be able to hold it."

Dorian blinked at the Grey Warden. "That was startlingly poetic."

Antonia nodded at Blackwall—she understood what he meant. And she'd always thought there was poetry in him somewhere. He had been deeply hurt at some point in his life, clearly, and was holding himself away from the world for some very dark reason, but at heart there was something in him that belied that darkness.

"Are you all ready?"

"Ready as we'll ever be." Varric shouldered Bianca, looking up at the fortress. "I really thought I was done with this after Kirkwall."

"A true adventurer's work is never over, my dear Varric."

"Oh, I know that, Sparkler. I just don't know when I signed up to be a true adventurer." Varric caught himself, looking down at his boots and sighing heavily. "Yes, I do. When I thought I could get rich off a Deep Roads expedition."

Antonia patted him on the shoulder. She knew he blamed himself for the red lyrium—but if it hadn't been him discovering that idol, it would have been someone else.

"Are you ready, Inquisitor?"

She turned to see Cullen coming up to her. In contrast to her rather sober team, Cullen's face was lit almost feverishly with the exhilaration of combat, his eyes glittering.

"I believe so. Is it time for us now?"

"Yes. Our men will scale the battlements with the ladders, take out what they find there, and clear the way for you inside the doors, once we breach them."

She frowned up at the top of the fortress. It looked very high.

"They'll get there," Cullen assured her, seeing the direction of her gaze. "We've been training for this; they know what to do. Wait for them to clear out the worst of it before moving forward—they're to take the brunt of the assault, sparing you to deal with the what's inside."

"I can get through," she said. "Tell them not to take risks on my behalf; I can handle getting in after the doors are breached. I don't want the men endangering themselves unnecessarily."

His face hardened, settling into the stern, fierce look that made the men call him the Great Bear. "With all due respect, Inquisitor, that is not your role. The soldiers are trained to support you in this assault; your skills are better reserved for what lies inside." He reached for her left arm, shaking her hand in front of her face. The mark was hidden there, under her glove. It was tingling just slightly, telling her that there was a rift inside the fortress somewhere. "If you fall trying to preserve a soldier's life, who will close the rift?"

That wasn't right. No one should have to die, not if she could prevent it. Inside her, Antonia was sick over the position she was in; but the Inquisitor understood what the Commander was saying.

"Our men know the risks. They take them willingly," Cullen reminded her. "Let them do their jobs." He let go of her arm.

"Right. Of course." She took a deep breath, nerving herself for what was to come. "Thank you, Commander."

He gave her a brisk, approving nod. For the briefest of moments, their eyes held, both remembering Haven. But they had agreed to leave that aside. The Inquisition needed them in their official roles today. Everything else would be for later.

Now the Inquisitor just needed to ensure that there was a later. Turning away from Cullen, she gathered her team, preparing to storm the fortress.