Heavy on Her Shoulders

23 Wintersend, 9:42

The War Room meeting was drawing to a close, much to Antonia's relief. After several nights of poor sleep for reasons both happy and not so much, as Cullen's nightmares continued unabated, she was actually looking forward to a night sleeping apart from Cullen to catch up. She stifled a yawn.

"Are we boring you, Inquisitor dear?" Josephine asked. Her eyes twinkled.

"Not in the least." Antonia avoided Cullen's eye, but she could see that his ears were red.

"Just a few more items."

Leliana, who had been remarkably quiet all afternoon, spoke up. "I believe we need to discuss the request for Cassandra and myself to go to the Conclave and participate in the search for the next Divine."

Antonia glanced at her sharply. "I thought we agreed to put that aside until we had come closer to defeating Corypheus."

"We struck an important blow at him at Halamshiral. Perhaps it is time to consider what happens after Corypheus has been defeated."

Maybe it was because she was tired, but the whole line of discussion struck Antonia as poorly timed. "He hasn't yet, and until he is, the Inquisition's needs take precedence over those of the Chantry. We can't do without you, Leliana, or Cassandra. Not yet." Why did they all assume that just because they'd gone to a ball and no one was killed they had taken some significant step forward?

Morrigan, who was typically silent during these discussions, fully aware no doubt of how narrow the limits of Leliana's patience with her were, spoke up. "I believe the Inquisitor is correct. The Chantry has proven utterly insignificant in the course of events, and its needs should not be allowed to endanger the work of this Inquisition."

Both Leliana and Cullen were needled by Morrigan's comment, and even Josephine appeared annoyed. Antonia stepped in before things could escalate. "Sharply put, but she's not wrong. You and Cassandra began this; we need you to see it through."

Leliana sighed. "Very well."

Morrigan crossed her arms, looking smug.

"Morrigan," Antonia said, "while I appreciate the support, if you could refrain from being deliberately inflammatory, I would appreciate it even more."

"Do not hold your breath," Leliana said. She and Morrigan looked at one another with mutual distaste, a world of history between them.

"I seem to recall someone else making similar pleas, once," Morrigan said, a faint smirk hovering on her lips.

"Yes. May I hope you will listen better to Antonia than you did to—than you did then."

There was silence in the room. Then Josephine flipped over a page on her writing board, and she grinned. "Perhaps we can lighten the mood a bit. I have here a stack of requests from ... interested parties who want to know more about Commander Cullen's lineage."

Cullen rolled his eyes, groaning loudly. "I believe, Ambassador, you should feel free to use those requests for kindling."

Josephine shrugged, gathering up the rather large stack of papers.

"Wait." Leliana held out her hand. "Give those to me. It could prove useful to know who pines for our commander." Her eyes twinkled.

"I am not bait!" Cullen said indignantly.

"Hush, now, Cullen. Just ... look pretty." Leliana and Josephine both collapsed into giggles.

"Are you not going to help me with this?" Cullen asked, looking at Antonia.