No Better Counsel

23 Bloomingtide, 9:42

The discussion of how best to approach attacking Corypheus and Samson in the Arbor Wilds had already gone on for some time, and Antonia saw no end in sight. The truth was, none of her advisors seemed to think the Inquisition was truly ready, and they were all grasping at any piece of information that might help.

Leliana paced back and forth in front of the windows. "With an eluvian, Corypheus could cross into the Fade in the flesh?" she asked, frowning.

"Indeed. The Inquisitor can attest that these artifacts still work, if one knows how to use them," said Morrigan.

Cullen asked, "What happens when Corypheus enters the Fade?"

Morrigan met his eyes squarely. "He will gain his heart's desire, and take the power of a god." A chill worked its way down the room, and Morrigan seemed pleased with her effect as she turned to Antonia, and in her more usual slightly irritated tone added, "Or—and this is more likely—the lunatic will unleash forces that tear the world apart."

Antonia shivered, remembering the nightmare future she had visited. "In Redcliffe, I saw the future Corypheus built. We can't let that happen."

"'Twas always so, was it not?" Morrigan asked. "The madman would bury us all."

"Pardon me," Josephine said. "But does this mean everything's lost unless we get to the eluvian before him?"

Silence followed her question, everyone looking at each other and then away.

"Corypheus has a head start, no matter how quickly our army moves," Cullen said, the admission clearly painful for him. He had a great deal of faith in the army, and hated to think of it having limitations.

"We should gather our allies before we march," Josephine suggested.

Leliana frowned. "Can we wait for them? We should send our spies ahead to the Arbor Wilds."

"Without support from the soldiers? You'd lose half of them!" Cullen said.

"Then what should we do?" Josephine asked testily.

"You overcome it," Antonia snapped. While she had great respect for each of her advisors individually, she found when all three of them had to put their heads together and make a single decision, the end result was usually that they had an argument, she had a headache, and the Inquisition had as many questions as it had started out with. Over time, fortunately, she had learned that when she spoke up, they tended to listen, and had become more comfortable doing so. "All three of you together." She closed her eyes, trying to see the problem as though it was on a chess board. "Josephine, have our allies send scouts into the Wilds. Leliana, your fastest agents will join them. Together, we'll have enough spies to slow down Corypheus's army until Cullen's soldiers arrive."

Morrigan laughed, then cleared her throat pointedly. "Such confidence," she said, "but the Arbor Wilds are not kind to visitors. Old elven magic lingers in those woods."

"We would be remiss not to take advantage of your knowledge, Lady Morrigan," Josephine said courteously. "Please, lend us your expertise."

"'Tis why I came here, although it is good to see its value recognized." Morrigan nodded at the Ambassador.

"So you'll join me and my team in the Wilds?" Antonia asked with some surprise.

"You doubt my abilities? Granted, 'tis been some time since the Blight, but I believe Leliana can attest that I acquitted myself adequately in combat." Morrigan's eyes met Leliana's.

"She is right. She will be an admirable addition to any team you choose to put together," Leliana said, holding Morrigan's gaze defiantly. Since Thomas's visit, Leliana had been more serene and less easily needled, which Antonia was glad to see. She still held out hope that somehow Leliana and Thomas could be together once this was all over.

"Any further instructions, Inquisitor?" Cullen asked.

"No instructions, but I just wanted to say to you all ..." She looked at each of her advisors in turn. "The Inquisition began as just a handful of soldiers. Thanks to you, we're now a force that will topple a self-proclaimed god. I could ask for no finer counsel; no better guidance." Antonia blinked back the tears that stung her eyes. It wasn't just the Inquisition these three had built—they had built the Inquisitor, as well. The person she had been before would never have lasted this long. That she had, and had triumphed against so many difficulties, spoke to the strength of the support that had been given her.

Cullen stood straight, crossing his arm over his chest. "I speak for all of us when I answer that we could ask for no finer cause."

"We'll hound Corypheus in the Wilds before he can find the temple, or this eluvian," Leliana said stoutly.

Antonia took a breath. Time to lighten the mood a bit; what they were undertaking was challenging enough without walking into it with doom and gloom written on their foreheads. Not just for the five people in this room, but for the Inquisition as a whole. They had to project confidence in order for everyone else to feel it. "Just one more thing," she said. "We've embarked on a quest that has us facing the most powerful monster in all Thedas." She smiled at them all. "Do get a good night's sleep."

"We'll try." Josephine giggled, glancing at Cullen with a wink, but Antonia imagined she was thinking of Blackwall.

Leliana sighed and looked away, and Morrigan looked at them all disapprovingly.

Cullen grinned. "As you wish, Inquisitor."