For the Inquisitor

20 Bloomingtide, 9:42

"You have everything you'll need?" Cullen asked. He double-checked the straps and buckles on her armor.

"I've done this before, you know." Antonia caught his hands in hers, forcing him to stop fussing. "You've seen me off before, without half this much bother."

"I know. It just feels ... different now. Doesn't it?" He looked at her, genuinely curious as to whether she felt the same sort of newness he did after having resolved their argument. It was as though a commitment had been made, or renewed, that he wasn't aware of having spoken.

"Yes, it does," Antonia admitted, stroking the side of his face with one gloved hand. She stripped the glove off and pressed the back of her fingers against his forehead. "And you've got plenty of powders if the fever comes back?"

"I do. I'm fine, really."

"You would say that whether you were or not," she pointed out, and he couldn't argue with that. "Jared's going to be keeping an eye on you for me—and for Mia. So you can decide which of us you're most scared of." She grinned.

Cullen grumbled, "You'd think I wasn't a grown man, perfectly capable—"

"Perfectly capable of letting himself lose consciousness because he hadn't taken medicine properly? Yes, you would think. Just like you'd think I was the Inquisitor, perfectly capable of making sure my buckles are properly fastened."

They frowned at each other for a moment, then both laughed. Cullen leaned his forehead against hers. "No dragons this time, right? Or giants?"

"None that I know of. We'll be back in a week or so, and then we can start making preparations for the Arbor Wilds and Samson and Corypheus."

"And then, Maker willing, maybe this will all be over." Cullen closed his eyes, breathing in the scent of her. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

With a last kiss, she hurried down the stairs, Phoenix at her heels. Cullen followed more slowly with Lucky. They watched from the keep stairs as Antonia's expedition pulled out, then they headed for Cullen's office. Work kept him busy until well on into the afternoon, when Jared appeared at the office door.

"They told me you didn't bother with lunch, but I didn't believe them."

"Surely you're busy, as well?" Cullen asked. He had delegated to Jared most of the tasks involving supplies and upkeep of Skyhold itself so that he could concentrate more fully on the needs of the army.

"Oh, yes, but there's always time for lunch." Jared grinned. "Friendly folk, these Skyholders. So interested in stories about their Commander, too."

"Maker." Cullen rubbed the back of his neck. "Jared ..."

"Cullen ..."

"Just ... try not to embarrass me too badly, will you?"

"If you say so." Jared produced some forms and papers. "I really came up because I wanted to go over some of these, make sure I'm getting things right."

"Of course." And they worked together for a while. Jared had grasped the situation fairly quickly and had some good ideas of his own. Cullen was surprised at how good it felt to have his brother here.

Once Jared was gone and most of the day's work was complete, Cullen felt free to start on a more personal project that he had been considering for some time. Now, with his relationship with Antonia on what felt like new, firmer footing, he didn't want to put it off any longer.

A Candle in the Darkness (A Dragon Age: Inquisition fanfiction)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें