To Say Good-bye

30 Solace, 9:44

"Damn," Antonia muttered as the buttonhole slipped out of her fingers again. Her pants were a bit tight, given the faint swelling from her pregnancy, and trying to suck in so she could hold the fabric and the button in the same hand and manage to put them together was harder than she had hoped it would be.

"Let me." Cullen took over, and finished buttoning her jacket for her at the same time.

"I'm never going to get the hang of this."

He looked down at her for a moment with an odd expression on his face, and she frowned at him.

"What?"

"I'm trying to decide if 'of course you will!' or 'you won't have to, because I'm going to be here to help every morning for the rest of your life' sounds more annoying."

Antonia smiled. "The second one. I can't let you fasten my clothes every day for the rest of my life, as if I were a small child."

"It's been two days, my light. Give yourself time to learn."

"I used to rage at the Anchor. I hated it."

"I know."

"But now ... this isn't the way I wanted it off."

"Of course it isn't." Cullen put his arms around her and drew her against him. "But for now, we have to hurry if we're going to say good-bye to everyone and get on the road at a decent hour. I miss our boy."

"Me, too." Antonia smiled.

She even let Cullen finish the packing when he waved her off. With Phoenix at her heels, she made her way down to the courtyard where their friends were gathering—probably for the last time.

Leliana had left the night before, after a semi-secret meeting Antonia and Cullen had chosen not to attend. Whatever was to be done against Solas, or in preparation for what might come, Antonia felt she had given enough. If, someday, her friends needed to call on her, that was one thing. But for now, she was just as happy to let them make their plans and preparations without her.

They had understood, bless their hearts, and Leliana had wished Cullen and Antonia the best of luck on her own behalf and on Thomas's.

Dorian was waiting for her, and he turned to throw his arms around her, pulling her close. "There is always a place for you, wherever I am," he whispered fiercely.

"Ditto."

"And this is for you."

She turned the object over in her hand. "What is it?"

"A sending crystal. On the off chance that you might want to hear my voice from time to time—and in the certainty that I will want to hear yours."

They embraced again, both holding back tears.

Dorian pulled away at last. "Tell that lovely man of yours to take care of you, and you take care of that lovely man who once was mine."

"I'll do my best, when he lets me."

"And ..." Dorian placed a hand on Antonia's abdomen. "I'm sorry I won't be there."

"I'm naming him after you, I hope you know."

At that, his mustache twitched, his eyes shining suspiciously. "Then I am certain he will be utterly fabulous."

As Dorian hurried away, Josephine and Cullen both came down from their rooms.

"Bags packed," Cullen said cheerfully. "We're ready to start for Skyhold whenever you are."

"And you, Josephine? Are you coming back with us?"

"Oh, yes. There is much to be put away properly there, and much to pack up. And then ... I will return to Antiva, I think, and marry someone suitable, and run my family's affairs."

"Blackwall is gone?"

"Yes. For good, he tells me. He said to say good-bye, and if you are ever in the Anderfels ... not to come visit." She smiled. "He is going where he feels he is best suited."

The Iron Bull appeared from the opposite direction, and then the Divine, accompanied by Varric.

"You ready, boss?"

"Ready. I look forward to going home. Although I suppose it isn't really my home any longer, is it?"

"What do you intend to do with Skyhold?" Cassandra asked.

"Hard to say. I think ... it's well suited to be its own separate entity, but ... I won't be running it."

Cullen squeezed her hand.

"You really intend to do this whole 'settling down' thing?" Varric frowned. "That's never good for readership."

"That, my friend, is your problem." She bent to hug him. "I know you'll be happy in Kirkwall, writing stories and dodging the Merchants' Guild, but if you ever feel the need to get away ..."

"You'll be the first, Herald." He grinned at Cassandra. "Or maybe the second."

The Divine sighed. "You're all leaving me again. Now I have to deal with all these stuffy Chantry people."

"What's that they say, 'be careful what you wish for'?" The Iron Bull chuckled. "Good luck to you."

"And to you."

As the Iron Bull and Josephine mounted their horses, Cassandra reached for Antonia, embracing her. "You were an exceptional Inquisitor. I hope you know that."

"Thank you. I couldn't have done it without you."

"That is ridiculous."

Cullen helped Antonia into her saddle before mounting himself. The new mabari joined Phoenix at the horses' heels. Varric and Cassandra waved, and the last remnants of the Inquisition's leadership rode out of Halamshiral's gates, on their way home.