Chapter Twenty-Four~

"Now watch carefully," Ratscar explained, kinking his tail over his back, "Tell me what this means?"

"Follow me." The three young toms that were positioned in the sandy clearing recited, their voices betraying how the words were drilled into their minds, muttering even without looking at what Ratscar was signaling. 

Smokepaw yawned, blinking as the sun filtered through the trees. Ashpaw was pawing at a swaying blade of grass, looking rather bored. While even Blazepaw was struggling to pay attention. His ears kept catching sound of mice scurrying between the leaves and roots of the oaks surrounding to hollow.

"Are you three paying attention!" The elder snapped, glaring at the three apprentice's.

Smokepaw's tail shot strait up, eyes wide. "Yes sir!"

Ashpaw blinking lazily at Ratscar, not bothering to answer, and Blazepaw just looked over towards the nearest bushes.

"Can we hunt?" The tabby brown tom questioned, eyeing the leaves as a squeak was heard.

Ashpaw's stomach growled, while Smokepaw yawned again, struggling to stay awake.

"What!?" Ratscar yelped. "These are useful techniques for a ShadowClan warrior! You must pay attention to everything you're taught!"

The gray nosed tom sighed, his stomach growling again. "Kinda hard when your belly's growling louder than your mentor."

"Too bad." Ratscar huffed. "A time will come when you wont get any food for days strait."

Ashpaw glared tiredly at the elder. "But that time isn't now. Right now, prey is plentiful."

Smokepaw and Blazepaw nodded in agreement, muttering along the lines of - "He's got a point" and "Truth"

Tawntpelt, who was watching the scene with amusement, padded towards Ratscar. "Ashpaw's right. No warrior can pay attention on an empty stomach." She nodded towards the three toms. "We'll hunt until sun-high, then help Tigerheart with construction."

Ashpaw groaned, rolling his eyes. "But we helped with construction until moon-high yesterday."

"Yeah!" Smokepaw growled, looking rather defeated as he help up his paw, which was wrapped with a leaf and substance that looked like horsetail. "Even my claws are tired!"

Ratscar glared at his apprentice. "Stop complaining. We've got work to do."

"Phoenixpaw and Brightheart are out helping right now." Tawnypelt stated.

Smokepaw and Blazepaw exchanged looks of triumph, while Ashpaw glared at Tawnypelt. "What are they doing?"

"They're out collecting branches." The tawny she-cat glanced towards Ratscar, who had looked away.

"What!" Smokepaw yelped, while Ashpaw growled -"I knew it."

The tabby brown apprentice sighed, staring pleadingly at Tawnypelt. "Why doesn't Phoenixpaw get any real tasks?"

"Yeah!" Ashpaw nodded in agreement. "You see how bored she is around camp! Let her train!"

Ratscar shook his scared head. "That's not our choice."

"Then we'll go ask Rowanstar." Blazepaw voiced confidently, Ashpaw nodding in agreement.

Tawnypelt shook her tawny head. "It's not his choice either. Phoenixpaw is training as a ThunderClan warrior."

"Yeah." Ashpaw growled. "A warrior! Not a kit! Bramblestar barely even lets her go out of camp!"

Smokepaw nodded, his blue eyes blazing. "We've been training for two moons! And Phoenixpaw hasn't been taught anything!"