Chapter Fourteen~

Twigfeather turned her attention back to Bramblestar, flicking her ears away from the bramble bush Tigerheart and Stormcloud disappeared into.

"Where to next?" The gray warrior questioned, the scent of fox still fresh on her tongue.

Bramblestar nodded towards the other side of the trail, where the roots of the Sky Oak poked through the rushes, "Let's head along the fox traps again. Maybe Phoenixkit went looking for a patrol."

"Then she'll want to find the main paths." Thornclaw finished.

Dustpaw narrowed his eyes, "But maybe she'd continue to travel through the thick undergrowth."

Sparkfire bit her tongue, struggling to not snap a retort at the young apprentice.

"Why?" Bramblestar asked quizzically, Thornclaw staring at his son with an unreadable gaze.

The dusty brown tom dipped his head, "She might try to hide from the fox , in which the thick roots and leaves would be a good camouflage. Phoenixkit's not an idiot. I've heard how she talks to Sandpaw when we come back from patrols. All I'm saying, is that the kit knows what she's doing."

"How does she talk exactly?" Twigfeather questioned, curiosity prickling in her paws.

Dustpaw shrugged, "When Sandpaw mentions the rogues, Phoenixkit voices her own opinion. And it's usually about what we could do better in a fight against them."

"Anything else?" Bramblestar pestered.

The apprentice nodded, "When Graypaw demonstrates an attack, like the leap and twist, for example. Phoenixkit, told him to put more power in his leap and rake his claw in the air for maximum damage. And when landing, put most of your weight to the front of your stance to lash out for a back swipe."

"That's stupid!" Sparkfire lashed her tail, muzzle scrunched up in distain, "It holds weakness. So it'll be easier for the enemy to unbalance you!"

Thornclaw stepped back, rocking his haunches for a leap. Twigfeather took a step back, watching carefully.

"She's right." The young warrior agreed, "It doesn't make any sense."

But the golden-brown tom took a massive leap into the air, lashing out with his front claws before he twisted. With a grunt of surprise, he landed with his weight resting on his front paws, and at the same time of his landing, kicking out with his hind paws.

Sparkfire let out a yelp of alarm and surprise as Thronclaws hind legs caught her side, leaving small scrapes in the fur. "Hey! What was that for!?"

But the older warrior wasn't listening, his face scrunched up with concern, eyes glittering with amazement.

"She's right." He nodded, straitening from his crouched position on the leafy ground, "But it's like a completely different move altogether. It's incredible how smooth the twist was, based on the claw rake."

Sparkfire's face lit up. "Can I try it?"

"Go ahead." Bramblestar nodded to his daughter, "But we must get moving, so make it quick."

The young ginger warrior crouched down, haunches waggling for a leap. Her tongue slipped out of the corner of her mouth as she rocketed into the air. Her claws slid out as she leaped, slashing with her right paw, while keeping her left claw outstretched, ready to cuff a enemy.

Sparkfire twisted, bending her spine around as she landed, her weight moved to the front of her body. And as soon as she hit the ground, just like Thornclaw, she kicked her hind legs out, claws catching the brambles of a nearby bush.